Capcut- Is it just for Tiktok Dances?!- EDTC 300 Learning Project Week 4

This week when I was tasked to pick an online source that I had never used before, I wasn’t exactly sure what I was going to do. I had used a lot of the ones available so I decided to ask some of my students to brainstorm what I should use! Many said I should use Tiktok (mostly because they want to follow me- which no thank you) but a couple said that they use the app CapCut to edit Tiktoks and it is an app I had heard about in the past but had no experience with. I decided to give that a shot to create my own video documenting my learning this week.

After downloading the app, I found that it was honestly pretty easy to get the hang of! They have templates that you can use to create TikToks or videos for your social media, but they also have video editing software that you can use. For this project, I mainly used the uploading pictures, and voice recording parts of the app- although I will say that I did experiment after with some of the templates and made a few sappy love posts for my husband. But I will save you from having to see those!

This is the first page that you see when you get onto CapCut. To start creating your own video without a template, you will click “New Project” and it will prompt you to insert video clips or pictures from your phone.

You can choose to select one picture or video at a time, or multiple at once. If you decide to add more pictures afterwards, you can press the white plus sign next to your video or picture and it will prompt you to add more.

The bar at the bottom contains the editing options and you can scroll left and right for more options.

CapCut also has many editing and effects software that you can use that are all located on the bottom bar. For my video, I used the audio tab to record a voice over and then edit the audio clip with a voice changer, and I also used stickers to cover student names and faces.

I found that it was self explanatory as someone who is on the internet regularly, but I can see how this could be very overwhelming for someone who is new to picture and video editing.

The one thing that I think is cool about CapCut, is that when your video is done, it saves to your device, but you can also choose to upload directly to Social Media sites such as TikTok from CapCut. CapCut also takes out their watermark when you upload directly to TikTok because they have a little banner that pops up saying it is from CapCut. Your projects are also saved to CapCut directly so if you need to go back and edit them later because you saw there is an issue, you can do so without starting over again which is super helpful!

Since this is something that students are already used to due to TikTok, I think that this could be very useful for students to record and edit videos for projects. It is available on cellphones for free so that means that students are able to download it easily on their own devices. You could also set up your own template for the students to use if you have a set template or format you want them to use. I think that this will become my new standard video editing software that I recommend to students because it is easy for them to use and they already use it for their TikTok videos. I think that there are obviously some things that I wish it would have that it doesn’t have yet, but overall I would give it a 8/10 for use in education.

My video explaining my progress this week:

This entry was posted in EDTC 300, Learning Project. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Capcut- Is it just for Tiktok Dances?!- EDTC 300 Learning Project Week 4

1. Brynn Dueck says:

Hey Briana! I love the idea to start teaching your students how to bead as a part of your learning process! Sometimes the best way to learn or to figure out what you have learned is to teach it.

2. Amie Sutton says:

Hey Briana!
    I’ve just seen CapCut on TikTok and didn’t know/think of using it for school projects! I’ll definitely keep this in mind for future use. Awesome video and good luck on your continued learning journey. 🙂

3. Jerome D Schmeiser says:

This seems like a great tool, I wish I had known about it before I got adventurous and did my first TikTok post for this weeks learning project 🙂

4. Cale Kindrachuk says:

I will keep this tool in mind for when I try to edit a video for myself. Thank you for sharing and enhancing my learning.

5. Alyssa Mozel says:

I did a similar video on Instagram for my learning project! I did not know that this app existed, but it is something that I will definitely look into and try out. If kids already are exposed to it, why not turn it into something that they can use in the classroom/for different purposes. Thanks for the tips!