EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Connecting To My Grandma: Learning Ukrainian

Introduction To My Learning Project

I have absolutely zero experience with understanding or speaking Ukrainian unless it is the name of my favourite Ukrainian dishes. I was inspired to choose this language to learn because my Grandma used to be able to speak it however she lost the language before I could even walk. My mom could understand some common words but not enough to pass it onto me or my siblings. I want to feel a connection to my grandma and mom by sharing something that is very important to them. In the last few years I have spent more time participating in Ukrainian traditions than I ever have and feel like learning the language should be next.

I am beginning at the basics and starting with the alphabet. I am planning to use many resources such as Duolingo, a Ukrainain dictionary, and YouTube videos.  Once I learn how to write and pronounce the letters of the alphabet I will progress to learning common day words. My goal by the end of the term is to be able to speak to my mom and grandma. Even though they cannot speak the language they can both understand some common words.

• Deanna Gallipeau

My heart! I feel very connected to your post. What a meaningful learning project you are about to embark on. I am eager to follow along and pick a few words to show off to my Baba.

• Marcus Zumstein

This is such a cool project Meghan. My family is also Ukrainian and with everything going on right now I’m sure this project will have quite the impact. I went to Ukrainian school at Miller in elementary but I only remember a few words from it unfortunately. I really look forward to seeing the progress that you make!

• Meghan Tremblay

That is cool that you got to do that! A similar program was offered at my elementary school but only two of us signed up so they cancelled it. Since then I’ve always thought about learning but never actually did.