EDTC 300

Flying Hippos!

I created my first coding project! I used Scratch to create a little interactive clip with a hippo. Check out an interact with the hippo with the link here.

I have actually used scratch once before in elementary school. I remeber it being fun but at the time I didn’t see the point of it I guess. I think coding was newer when I was in elementary school so my teachers didn’t really know the point either. There was zero explanation and no assignment we just played on it for a day.

For my Scratch project I played with drawing backgrounds and using Scratch provided ones. I wanted to incorporate sounds, text, and something interactive. It is short but I think it is cute and I got to use all the features I wanted to.

I think today coding is important for kids to learn. It is becoming more and more important each day. I think that aside from the technology part of it you get to be creative and create something. The worst part for me in elementary school was when we had to create story books and I am a terrible artist. This is a great platform to tell stories on! I will be taking a computer science class next midterm and though the coding is very very different Scratch is an introduction to it. With math we don’t start with calculus we start little and get bigger and this is the same. I think each year this will become more important!

• Kaelynn LePoudre

Hey Meghan,

I really like the features you played around with to create your Scratch. It was also fun to try out your interactive, the Hippo is super cute.