Weekly Reading Assignment

Cognitivism, Constructivism, and Objectivism

This week I read a few articles that outline three learning theories. Objectivism, constructivism and cognitivism.

In short objectivism can be defined as a learning theory that includes formulas, terminology, and information to be passed from a teacher to student. This can be closely related to the curriculum, orientation, known as product. The curriculum orientation of product is the idea of passing information from teacher to student through assessments with an end goal in mind. This method is present because an objectivist approach to teaching states that a “student’s responsibility is accurately to comprehend, reproduce and add to the knowledge handed down to him or her” (2.3 Objectivism).

Constructivism is the idea that what we learn from experiences we have had in the past. For example, students taking pre-Calc 20 are expected to have taken pre-Calc 10 and understand the material so they can now build on it. This demonstrates the praxis method because teachers need to work with their students to ensure they have the previous knowledge (2.5 Constructivism).

Cognitivist thinking believes that there is a journey to learning that require students to memorize, understand, analyze, evaluate, and then create. I believe this demonstrates a process method of curriculum orientation. This orientation focusses on working with students and building a journey/process of learning. This education theory works to help students understand why we are learning what we are and how it works (2.4 Cognitivism).

In my experience I have witnessed all of these education theories in  various subjects. I think it is very common to begin with memorizing the material and then working towards understanding it.

• Justine David

Hi, great work for this week. I like how concise your words are, but in a way, I would have loved to hear more from you. I totally agree with the curriculum models you connected the learning theories to. What did you think of behaviorism? You included good examples within your post, and they helped me understand this week’s focus a little more. Thanks for the great information.

• Meghan Tremblay

Hi Justine! Thanks for the comment! I think behaviourism has a time and a place. I think it can be beneficial for gathering students attention and sometimes rewarding good deeds. However, I think when it becomes a competition of who gets the most prizes or when students have the mentality that they should try harder or work harder only to recieve a prize it can become a problem.