Where you are today matters for who you'll be tomorrow

ASL: Numbers – Brainpower and Hand Strength Unite!

The ASL App

This is now my third week of learning ASL (American Sign Language), and I am really enjoying it! I focused on practicing the “Universal Gestures” video provided by The ASL App, as well as the “Handshape Exercises.” Below is a video that shows some quick hand warmups that are good at strengthening your hands and helping you practice some of the more commonly used ASL hand signs.

ASL: Hand Warmups

I started getting more invested in learning new ASL signs after starting the Stack Skills ASL course that I had previously purchased. I have only used the first course that came in the package deal and it has a TON of videos! They are easy to listen to, thorough in the explanations provided for each sign, and it also provides some history behind the creation of ASL which is super interesting.

This week, I specifically focused on learning the “Numbers” portion part of the course that looked at teaching the signs for numbers 1 and up to 99.

It was a bit of a learning curve to remember how to do 20-29 which have a different set of rules compared to 30 and up. However, after taking time to go over the hand signs repeatedly (even when I was in bed trying to fall asleep), I eventually was able to memorize most of them. With more consistent practice, I anticipate being able to recall the number signs faster and more easily.

This video shows the ASL signs for numbers 1 to 30.

ASL: Numbers 1-30

*It is important to note that certain signs can look slightly different depending on if it originated in Europe or in America, as well as if it is a more formal or simplified version of the sign.

Goal:

My goal for this upcoming week is to work more on the alphabet and numbers to try and remember them more easily, and to start to learn the signs for colors and animals.

1. Kiera Brennan

This is so interesting! I have always wanted to learn sign language. I feel like this needs to be a more common thing that people know, just like learning another spoken language. I have always felt like those who rely on sign language only actually have a few people they can communicate with – so I think that this should be more universal so that they would be able to communicate with most people!! Keep up the great work. I also love that you set yourself goals each week – great way to keep yourself accountable!!

2. Jasmin Boha

I will definitely be following along on your journey to see the multiple different ways to learn ASL from! I am also learning ASL and am interested to see the different paths of learning we choose as well as how each of our blogs can help each other or encourage us to learn with a different tool or a different way! Keep up the great work! I will for-sure be checking your blog regularly!

3. Benton Froc

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot that learning numbers was important. I’m doing my project on ASL as well and just started doing finger spelling for whole sentences, but I definitely forgot about learning the numbers! I’ll take some inspiration from your blog post here for resources, but it’s very exciting to see your progress so far!