Each topic that we focussed on in ECS 100, is a factor that affects the growth and well being of each student as they attend school. By having a welcoming and friendly learning environment, community starts to form in the classroom and relationships between teachers and students, as well as between students begin to build. Each factor is necessary for students to feel safe and accepted, which in turn can help them to learn more easily and be more willing to ask for help.

School and Community: The school I got to partner with for my field placement has a large population of Filipino’s. I feel that this naturally created diversity in each classroom and the school as a whole. Since the community is small, there are many opportunities for connections to be made with teachers and staff inside and outside of the school. Our town has many events that happen, which also helps in bringing people of all ages together.

Teachers, Knowledge, Building Relationships:

Being that we are in a small town, teachers are very aware of their students extra-curricular activities and interests. This helps to build a connection with their students that is outside of just a teacher/student relationship. The teachers were very good at involving everyone in conversation, and making sure they mixed up the class when it came to group work. They also provided me with a few examples of how they try to gain more knowledge as teachers (Webinars, join teacher Facebook groups, meet with other teachers, etc.).

Students and Learning Environment:

Everyone can be considered a learner. Students are learners, but teachers can also be learners. Each classroom that I was able to participate in had a different organizational method used regarding desk placements, many of them being changed monthly. Teachers were rarely ever stationed at their desk for more than a few minutes. They were often moving all around the classroom to each student. Desks were often placed in little group pods, to encourage group work.

Diversity and Difference

There are many posters around the classroom and school hallways that encourage diversity and being different. As mentioned previously, our school has many Filipino students which has provided the opportunity to be able to learn about Philippine culture. The teachers also do their best to provide extra assistance to struggling students, and with the lack of extra help from Educational Assistant’s, often must adapt and come up with new ways to help their students. The teachers are aware of the words they say and try to be non-discriminatory in the lessons that they teach.

Final Thoughts

The assignments, articles, videos, and other teaching resources we were given throughout our ECS class were very insightful, and I want to work on incorporating what I learned into my own classroom someday. I have become more aware of the power structure and discrimination that can exist in the classroom, which I want to do my best to avoid. I want all cultures that exist in my classroom, as well as beyond my classroom, to be recognized, and to keep a welcoming and loving atmosphere for everyone.

I thoroughly enjoyed being able to go into different classrooms, gain knowledge and insight from the teachers, grow close with students, and overall get experience of dealing with life in the classroom during my field placement.