John Dewey: The Beginning of Progressive Education

Choose a quote related to education. It might be a quote from lecture or a quote you found independently. In a post, unpack that quote. Think about what it makes possible and impossible in education. What does it say about the teacher, about the student? How does it related to your own understandings of curriculum and of school?

John Dewey was known for his remark “learning is doing”. This is a phrase I carried with me for most of my educational path since I firmly believe in what it means. Studies show that children and adults learn best when applying the information that they are learning to their lives. In science, this method is used in laboratory portions of the course. Its a different experience when you can visualize the affects of what you are learning. A science teacher can also apply their students knowledge to more physical activities in games like “Atoms and Molecules” a challenging race game that can be played with as many or as few students available. A good teacher can apply their subject to many different aspects or interests of an individual student. When a student can apply their interests to a curriculum they are more likely to take an interest in the subject and feel connected to their passions. I believe in open ended learning that has a main focus or topic but can be branched out in any way to accommodate the needs/interests of any student. I believe in encouraging imagination and connecting to outside interests that a student may carry with them. As a teacher, I hope to inspire and encourage my students to become the best version of themselves; starting my teaching from whatever point my students are at when I meet them (Dewey). There is no such thing as bad knowledge, and its a good thing too, because learning cannot be undone.

This entry was posted in ECS 210: Curriculum as Cultural and Social Practice. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to John Dewey: The Beginning of Progressive Education

1. ikg276@uregina.ca says:

Hi Nicole,
    I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about John Dewey’s quote. I agree that “learning is doing” and that it is up to teachers to encourage this with their students. I think you hit on some great points when you talk about the importance of trying something in order to learn it properly.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Isabella