Week 2 Tyler Rational

One of the first questions in the Tyler Rational is “What educational purposes should the school seek to obtain?”  I can relate this very much to my highschool experience, going to Catholic highschool one of the main purposes were to instill the Catholic faith into each and every student. First off they did this by requiring the lord’s prayer at the beginning of each day. Also they made it mandatory that each student who wanted to graduate from their institution be forced to take Christian Ethics, a class on the Catholic religion that was required for all four years. While making us take these classes we were assigned homework and then given tests on it to make sure we were in fact learning about it. 

The Tyler Rationale has limits because it does not give the students a choice in what they want to learn or how they go about learning it or as the article states “ The learners end up with little to no voice”. It becomes a cookie cutter way of learning, that ends up not working for most students. As for the Christian Ethics class forced upon us in highschool it was very much text book based and any one questioning what it said was shut down and not allowed to express their opinions. 

While the Tyler rationale has it flaws it’s also beneficial in helping provide teachers with a guideline on what should be taught. As the article states “providing a clear notion of outcome so that content and method can be organized and the results evaluated.” By having what is supposed to be taught in a well organized manner and being able to see the results of what we are teaching, helps us as teachers rethink the way we are teaching and provide new methods in order to get the information across in a more efficient manner.  

2 thoughts on “Week 2 Tyler Rational

1. Bushra Burki

Hi! I also went to a religious school. I think in a way, it’s unavoidable to study religion without looking at the textbook (which is the religious book). It’s like studying “To Kill a Mockingbird” without reading the actual book. However, this shouldn’t be an excuse to think deeply about religion as a whole and analyze those relgious works much like any novel in a language arts class. I knew I wanted this in my religious classes. I just wanted to sit down and discuss about how I felt or learn parts of the religion I was interested in about. This was a good blog.

Reply
  2. Ryland

I didn’t go to a Catholic High School, but did have a few friends who went and it sounded like Christian Ethics was always a drag. My critique about this is the way you worded it especially the first paragraph. Yes they are ‘forcing’ you in the sense that you are required to take it to graduate, but for many people that is the exact reason why they went to Catholic school. I agree it is a good comparison in the use of the Rationale but the wording is very bias.

Reply