Put your Needles Away!

By the title of my blog you might know where I’m going with this, but for everyone’s safety put your needles away when your not using them! Maybe even buy a cute little needle case or pin cushion. Don’t be like me and unknowingly grab your couch blanket ( blanket for being warm and cozy on your couch) finding the needle you used before as it stabs into your hand, and then in a state of shock throw the blank and needle away from you. Losing the needle you didn’t know was lost once again.

After finding the needle and struggling to re-thread  it yet again.. I started the second half of the video from the previous Blog.

As I began to watch the other half of the video, I start slowly realizing the second half of the video is getting significantly harder. I’ll probably have to get familiarized with them again, once I actually start a real project. but least I will hopefully have the basics down. 

The Chain Stitch: a bit more complicated and involved a bit more skill, but was essentially a stitch involving weaving the needle underneath your stitch before creating another stitch.

The Lazy Daisy Stitch: involved me pricking myself more than once and creating the most sloppy looking half flower, but it requires less tension apparently compared to the other stitches, and like I said in the previous blog I tend to strangle my yarn so that could be why.

The Fly Stitch:  I really enjoyed this one, It makes little V shapes and is good for filling in plants!

The Satin Stitch: Is used to fill in spaces with color, and was also super easy to figure out and one that I’ll probably use a lot.  

The French Knot Stitch: Pretty simply, and just requires wrapping the thread around the needle and going back through. Great for adding Texture and creating little rose bud type stitches.

The  last and final Stitch from the video the Long and Short was by far my least favorite, It’s so tedious and at the moment makes no sense to me, as to why you would want to use it when compared to Satin stitch since they are both used to fill in spaces.

Keep coming back for more updates, Next week I plan to attempt the Alphabet!

5 thoughts on “Put your Needles Away!

1. Pingback: A to Z | My Never Ending journey of Learning

2. Darrian Enns

Good work! I didn’t know that there were so many types of stitches! I like that you are able to recognize your least favourite stitch, which probably means it is the one you should practice the most! maybe as you progress, you’ll find times when you actually prefer the long and short stitch! Looking forward to seeing the alphabet!

Reply
  3. Sarah Mennie

I loved your story at the beginning as I feel that is so relatable to so many people! It looks like you have really progressed on your different stitches, and I found it really helpful that you labelled all of them! Good luck with the rest of your project, and I am looking forward to seeing the alphabet!

Reply
  4. Alyssa Grondin

I am so glad that I came across your learning project! This is a really cool idea. I am teaching myself how to knit right now. It looks like you have already made some incredible progress! I took a look at the video you used, and I totally get why you need to “put your needles away” now. They are tiny and very hard to see! (So sorry that you stabbed yourself with one of those). I am curious if you have any thoughts on what you are planning to create for your end product?? This looks like it takes lots of patience!!!! Keep up the good work!

Reply
  5. bas380

Your story at the beginning sums up my life when my little sister decides to sew! I didn’t realize how many different types of stitches there are in embroidery! Do you eventually plan on using your new skill to work on clothes? I have seen so many videos online of people embroidering onto jeans, and they also turn out so cool! Wishing you luck throughout your project, and can’t wait to see all that you learn!

Reply