We are all treaty people

According to the Levin article we can see that curriculum is influenced by many people. Sometimes its influenced by a certain person in politics since they have the power to persuade other people to agree with them in order to get what they believe is a necessary part of the curriculum. Other times politicians have to make choices and policy based on what people belive is true rather than what is true, as to not upset the public. To me its surprising that the minister of education can be given so much power to make decisions on what is the most important issues are when it comes to everyone’s education. When they wrote about how the  minister of education went to government with two issues they said “you can have one of your issues fixed but not both and you can choose which one” it makes it seem like the government doesn’t really care, that they have more pressing issues. When in fact education is one of the most important issues.

After Reading pages 1-4 of the Treaty Education document, I got the impression that incorporating Treaty education was something that the government decided we needed in order to make a mends so to speak.The document to me sounds fairly generic, with a very basic view

I think it wasn’t something that was organically introduced,it seems like more of one of those pressing issues that gets okay-ed to keep the voters happy.  While I do think that teaching about Treaties and Indigenous people is very important, I think with Treaties and Indigenous education it needs to be something were knowledgeable and passionate about to teach it in a meaningful way instead of in a forced manner, where all were doing is checking the boxes. To teach about what it means to be treaty people we need to understand what it actually means to be a treaty person.

1 thought on “We are all treaty people

1. Kelsey Hollinger

Hi Niki, I like your stance on this topic. I too find in frustrating that the government does not seem to care much about educational matters, or education itself, especially treaty education is not seen as a priority. It’s interesting that First Nations were forced to endure residential schools and now live with the trauma, meanwhile the government is giving a checklist for very shallow treaty education and calling it reconciliation when it reality it is treated as a chore by many.

Reply