Leaving In stitches

For the past 10 Weeks as most of you may know I have taken on the challenge of learning to Embroider through resources I found online.  At the beginning of this journey I might have been a bit naive believing it would be a lot less time consuming and tedious than crocheting or knitting. When  I first started I imagined it wouldn’t take that long to create a simple picture. Boy was I wrong, along with finishing this semester I also managed to finish watching every episode of Gilmore Girls, most of those episodes spent mindlessly sticking my needle to my embroidery hoop.

At the start of my learning journey I Put Down the hook and picked up the needle.   something Ive been thing about doing for awhile. In my First blog I talk about my reasons for wanting to learn how to embroider and I share a fun fact about how my Grandma used to embroider along time ago. I also share how using Micheal’s coupons helped save me 45% off my haul of supplies to get started

After gathering my supplies I Got Started, learning 3 basic stitches from a video made by Lovecrafts, and worked on creating a Pinterest board filled with ambitious pictures I’d hope to one day emulate.

all 10 Stitches

Later after learning the first 3 basic stitches from the Lovecrafts video, I learned the hard way about Always putting your needle away, that needle pricked me good.. After finding my needle I proceeded to finish learning  the 7 significantly harder stitches,making it an even 10 stitches. 

After learning those 10 basic stitches I decided to conquer  A to Z using 4 out of the 10 stitches I now know. Using a Video from Wandering Threads embroidery  to guide me along the way. This is where I realized that Embroidery takes a lot longer than I expected, from start to finish The whole thing took about half a season of Gilmore Girls to create( about 7.5 hours).

my first cactus!

Lighting The cactus is where I write about my  struggle to transfer a Cactus picture I found on DMC onto a black canvas, a rookie mistake I won’t repeat twice. I also finally get a Needle threader that changed my life for about a week. I also premier my first  DIY learning video where I showcase my new threader in action. As an added bonus It also features my first cactus that took about 2 Gilmore Girls episodes(1.5 hours) to create.

What a mess!

After coming around the mountain of homework and midterms I start working on creating two more cacti and a mountain outline. This is where my floss becomes  so entangled because I attempt to use two colors at once causing me to get bored and frustrated abandoning my scenic cacti picture forever. 

3 puffy clouds

After abandoning my Cacti I  take my head out of the clouds, and find a dreamy tutorial on creating puffy clouds using the Public Library Database,  a source I recommend to anyone trying to learn a new DIY skill, they even offer weekly classes for free. , so far my fluffy clouds are my favorite thing I’ve created.

Embroidery 101 takes us back to basics where I put  my new found Videography skills, and Windows movie editor to use, to teach you how to do 4 of the main stitches I’ve been using the most.

To wrap up  my final learning project post I wanted to do something I’ve been dying to try, create a Time lapse video of my embroidery.   It also gives me the chance to finish one full picture to have since the cacti were a bust. To create the time lapse I used a logitech C922  streaming camera with a program I downloaded called VideoVelocity3 that records your video in time-lapse format. The program was easy to navigate and as an added bonus was free! After creating the video I used the Windows movie Editor to add music and the title before uploading  it to Youtube

creating the sunset sky

As you can see I’ve come a long way from lopsided letters to fluffy clouds in the setting sky. While I still have a long way to go to become a master embroiderer, I’ve gained a lot of experience in a short amount of time.  I’m really glad I chose to learn how to embroider for this project, with all the motivational comments from my peers cheering me on it made it easier to continue on. I know as this class wraps up, I will continue learning more stitches and creating new pictures.

1 thought on “Leaving In stitches

1. Jaelyn Prediger

Your learning project turned out great, Nikki! As someone who has been following your posts throughout the semester, it is amazing to see how you have progressed. I also give you credit for choosing embroidering for your project, because I can imagine it had its challenges and took a lot of patience. Thank you for allowing me to follow along your learning journey, and take care!

Reply