The ride after practice

It was a hot summer day, as I just finished up a long football practice. My dad was the coach of the team but on our way home we had recognized one of the fellow players had been walking home. I asked my dad why don’t we give him a ride home? So we pulled over and asked this teammate for a ride, he decided to get in. This experience showed me how fortunate I was as a person, as we got near his house I saw all of these tiny tiny houses. Looking at one of my fellow teammates’ houses as we pulled up I was in disbelief, the windows were covered by tin foil, the drywall of the house was all destroyed and smashed in, multiple windows were broken as well as the front door. I was in shock and felt so bad, because he was someone I talked to and he was a teammate of mine. My dad picked up on the conversation first and said “now you know how lucky you are buddy, all those little things don’t matter.” I was about a 13 year old kid realizing I wasn’t probably the most fortunate kid but I had it very well compared to most people. 

For most people they won’t get an expensive Christmas or birthday gift as playing football was all they had. I know I am probably in the higher middle class because I am not the richest family but I do have it good and am very privileged to be doing all of the things I do, and having all of the things I have. I now know I live in a very nice house compared to others, I have great meals every night and have a great lifestyle. This experience made me realize you need to be fortunate for what you do have, as you never know how much a warm meal would mean to someone. This experience made me realize it isn’t about having a PlayStation 4 or the newest iPhone, it’s about realizing how lucky you are to have the opportunities you have and about putting yourself in the less fortunate shoes because you have no idea what they are going through right now, and being in the higher middle class most 13 year old kids are greedy. I want this, I want this but sometimes in life it’s not about that it’s about realizing how lucky you are to be in the position you are so to me that meant a lot and being in the status I am I am very fortunate to have a great lifestyle and recognizing other people’s status is heartbreaking.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The ride after practice

1. Victor Corduban says:

First, I notice your good intention to take your walking teammate for a ride home. This is so kind and leads you to a life-lesson. It is great that you realized at a younger age, that your lifestyle such as every meal, your Christmas gift or other small things are for some children a privilege or they are a dream of them. I am sure that this moment or this experience will be always in your mind when you will make a decision from now on. I am sure that will explain to your children how small things matter as your father explained to you.