HyFlex: The Whys and Why Nots

Many new terminologies are emerging to describe diverse combinations of course modalities. Modality, which previously denoted the location and timing of encounters, has grown from a simple face-to-face or online binary into a complex landscape. This complexity affects our mutual understanding because the vocabulary around course types has grown tremendously, and I believe the growth is perpetual. Some scholars have argued that modes of learning should be seen as a continuum of technology-based learning, which looks plausible visually.

Merging Modality Models

Emerging innovative models in the dynamic education terrain are needed to meet the diverse needs of learners. This has resulted in a variety of models, and one of such models is HyFlex which was coined by Brian Beatty. Hybrid-flexible, or HYFlex, is an instructional strategy that smoothly mixes online and in-person instruction inside a single course, allowing students to select which is their preferred method of participation. Some educators at the University of Regina have tried to use this and acknowledged how challenging it is (AHRD 802).

Benefits of HyFlex Learning

The defining feature of HyFlex learning is its adaptability. Recognising that students’ learning preferences and situations differ, this model allows them to choose how they interact with the course—in person, online in real-time, or remotely via recorded content. HyFlex removes geographical and scheduling constraints, increasing access to education. Students with geography, time, or health constraints can participate in the course, resulting in a more diverse and inclusive learning community. The model is resilient in the face of disturbances like unanticipated emergencies or health issues, as seen in the COVID-19 pandemic with some organisations. It easily transitions between in-person and online modes, ensuring that education continues during difficult times.

In terms of learning styles, HyFlex accommodates a variety of learning techniques. Whether students prefer face-to-face engagement or the independence of online learning, this model accommodates diverse preferences, leading to a more personalised learning environment. Lastly, HyFlex fosters an awareness of responsibility in learners. With the option to choose their attendance and involvement, students take responsibility for their educational experience, resulting in a more active and engaged student body.

Challenges of HyFlex Learning

The complexity of a HyFlex course requires careful design. Instructors must produce resources that transition effortlessly between in-person and online versions, guaranteeing a consistent and equal learning experience for all. Both learners and educators may face technological challenges. Issues such as internet availability, device access, and platform issues can all have an impact on the overall quality of the learning experience, potentially leading to inequities. Logistical issues such as coordinating activities and assessments for students participating in various modes are common.

Maintaining fairness and justice in evaluation techniques necessitates considerable attention. For example, students may have diverse learning experiences depending on the mode they choose, presenting the prospect of inequities in resource access and engagement levels, which could affect overall academic achievement. More so, students may have diverse experiences with learning contingent upon the mode they choose, creating the prospect of disparities in resource access and engagement levels, which could impact overall educational achievements. Adopting HyFlex learning may place additional demands on educators. Combining multiple delivery formats, delivering timely feedback, and meeting diverse student needs all require additional effort.

The Feasibility Debate

The viability of HyFlex learning is dependent on contextual conditions, resources at hand, and organisational objectives. While the model has grown in response to the demand for flexible educational opportunities, its success is dependent on careful planning, a strong technology infrastructure, and continual support for both teachers and students. The question of whether HyFlex is a viable paradigm or a transitory trend relies on how effectively educational organisations manage the accompanying hurdles to provide valuable educational opportunities for everybody. Attempts have been made to practice HyFlex in Continuing Education at the University of Regina but professors have acknowledged its complexity.

Posted by Olajide Abijo

Welcome to my blog!

I'm Olajide Abijo, and my educational background includes a degree in Linguistics (B.A.) and a master's in Educational Leadership. Currently enrolled in the Adult Education and Human Resources Development program (MEd), I bring a wealth of teaching experience across diverse cultures and age groups, ranging from kindergarten to 80-year-olds 😊.

My focus lies in exploring the effective application of online and blended learning in adult education, particularly within work contexts. Having lived and taught in Nigeria, the United Arab Emirates, and Japan, my experiences in different contexts have greatly influenced my perspectives and interactions with learners and local communities.

While my interest in teaching waned due to unnecessary systematic pressures, I aim to leverage my knowledge, experience, and skills within the industry. Although I harbor an interest in postgraduate teaching opportunities, I am not inclined towards writing publications at this time, but NEVER say NEVER!

8 thoughts on “HyFlex: The Whys and Why Nots”

1. From the course material I feel that HyFlex is being presented (or positioned) as the ideal; essentially the best of all worlds. My worry is that if requires instructors and designers be “jacks of all trades.” It concerns me that one’s attention would have to be split between online students, face-to-face learners, those working with you in real time, and those who are working independently. I often find that when my attention is divided I end up doing a mediocre job in multiple areas (He who defends everything defends nothing). I also foresee too much dependence on technology. One server failure or internet disruption and the whole system could come crashing down. Certainly these contingencies could be planned for, but I am wary of placing so much dependence on factors that are outside my control.

1. Thanks for your contribution, Matthew!
      I wondered how many institutions are ready for this “perfect system”. I’d rather go with what I am comfortable with too.

2. Hi Olajide, thank you for your clear summarization of the HyFlex model! I have experienced a watered-down version of this model; one of my previous in-person courses offered Zoom in the case we were snowed in, sick.. or any reason that we could not attend in-person! I was really appreciative of that option – it allowed more flexibility and while the majority of us attended in person each week, having this fall back option helped eliminate some stress.
    That being said, the Zoom options did not create the equitable learning environment as you stated above. While on Zoom, we were unable to participate in discussion, no one was monitoring the Zoom, and it felt like we were looking through a window to the class. Desigining a class using the HyFlex model would be – I believe – very challenging, and I agree with Matthew that teachers would require to become a jack of all trades!

3. Thank you for the thorough explanation! I had similar thoughts as Matt – the article seemed to highlight the pros of this model. As a student, I can certainly see the advantages in terms of flexibility. But as an educator, I can’t help but think of how complex this could be and how difficult it would be to ensure comparable learning experiences for all students. Perhaps I’m a bit biased, in that my past online courses (as a student) were not interactive at all and many resembled the scenario in the “dead professor” article.

1. Thanks for your input, Lauren. Your experience, similar to mine in a postgraduate course, reflects the difference between theory (the ideal) and practice (the context).

4. Great write up! I feel like most of the replies are similar to how I feel regarding this topic. I believe teaching online versus teaching in-person can be two completely different experiences. To find resources, organize classroom content and plan for in-person and online sounds exhausting as a teacher! I do agree with the flexibility as a student and having the “choice” to follow the modality that suits you and your lifestyle better. However, as an educator, I don’t believe this is my first choice.

5. Thanks, Sarah. I find it interesting because I see how we are alternating our roles as educators and learners. Such balanced reflections lead to better practice.