Week One: Exploring Basics of Foods and Recipes

October 2, 2024 4 By Olivia Brenner

For this week in my learning project I used TikTok as my main resource. I found the recipes on there were really easy to find and it’s nice because they are short clips of exactly what you’re searching for. Often when I was trying to find something to make I had an idea and I would click on a video and scroll until I found something cool to make which is actually really helpful when trying to make new foods. The main thing I made this week was lasagna soup. I found a few recipes. The one I mostly used was on TikTok (click link for recipe video) and then I found a second one on a website called Tastes Better From Scratch. I had been wanting to make soup for a while and this was the perfect opportunity to try something I’ve never done. I thought lasagna soup was a good start as I’ve never even made lasagna. I thought in soup form that’s got to be even easier. I went and bought all the ingredients, then I followed the video and recipe step by step. I ended up really liking it but made a lot by accident so I invited my sister over for supper and gave some to my roommate as well. I got approval from both of them so I’d say week 1 was a success!! I even still ended up having a lot of leftovers which worked out good as I had worked a lot and had all my classes through the week so I did not have much time to make new things on other days.

I also decided to make a few small things on other days, one being buffalo cauliflower which is now my new favourite thing to eat. I also had seen this off TikTok (click link for video) which I wasn’t even looking for. It just popped up on my feed and I was like I’m gonna make this. I already had everything I needed other than cauliflower so I went and bought some and then documented making it. I found it super easy and just cooked it in the air fryer. I’m a big fan of spice so the buffalo sauce was a perfect mix for it.

I had also made hot honey chicken legs which I got off TikTok (click link for recipe video) as well. I didn’t end up documenting these since I had already done two others earlier in the week. They were pretty simple and were soooo good. I would say to conclude this week, TikTok was very helpful as I used it for all my recipes. So far in my learning project I have pushed myself to try a few new things and I hope to get even more creative with the recipes I pick! I am planning to make some deserts next week so stay tuned!!