A Journey with Technlogy

The Island

The island – a place of solitude, family and hard work. A place where my memories of my childhood are deeply rooted, a place where boredom was tackled by creativity, a place where challenges were faced with perseverance and a place where life was simple and in the moment. I am certainly one to say that technology is having a significant impact on childhood. So much so that this is the one debate where I was not on the fence at all. I heard and respectfully listened to the discussions around generational gaps and that old people just don’t get it because their childhood wasn’t like that. However, I do believe that we can respectively learn from our elders and use the knowledge gained to make wise choices for our future selves and the lives of our children. Do I think children need to have my exact childhood experiences on an island to have success in life ……… not exactly. But I do believe that myself and the generations before me have made out pretty good and that just maybe they had one or two things right.

No photo description available.

Both sides to tonight’s debate about technology and childhood were very well thought out. However, I feel most passionate about the agree side. From the article “The Impact of Social Media on Children” and you-tube video from the “Kid Counselor” I was able to take away several points that I strongly agree with about the impacts of social media on childhood.

• social media has more negative than positive effects on the development of the brain
  • increased anxiety and depression
  • the new wave of addiction is the cell phone
  • the impact of the screens on brain
  • many teenagers have meltdowns if the phone goes missing
  • less physical activity and outdoor time
  • parents aren’t aware of what happens in the secret life of their child on the phone
  • parents need to have stiffer rules to help curve the long term effects of social media
https://socialmediapsychology.eu/2018/02/01/digital-childhood-kids-and-social-media/

I do truly appreciate the efforts of the disagree side to show us that there are young people whom are effectively using social media in a positive way. It is amazing to see young people use their voice with purpose as explained on this website. I acknowledge and respect the efforts of so many young people that are passionate about making a positive change and have been encouraged by adults to use social media with purpose. Unfortunately in my opinion the good is very much overshadowed by the bad and their are just not enough teenagers or children that are mature enough to engage in positive change making behaviours.

Social Media Children Chat Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image.  Image 77262645.
https://www.123rf.com/photo_77262645_social-media-children-chat.html

1. Alyssa Johnson

Hi Leona!

Thank you for your blog post and insight on the topic of social media ruining childhood. I agree with so many of the statements you have made here Leona. I often remark to others that I am beyond grateful that I grew up in a time, particularly in high school, of when social media was not near as prominent as it is today. It most definitely has it’s benefits, but the only forms of media that my friends and I had during this time were cell phones that could only call or text, MSN chat and Hi5. Most of our families still had dial up internet, and video games for my family and I just weren’t a huge interest. We spent time together as a family, time with friends, time playing sports, time outside. Some of my favorite memories as a kid growing up, was on my block when all of the neighborhood kids on a nice winter night would come out and play street hockey for hours. It was so much fun, we could not get outside enough. Technology was not the focus, spending time together in person was. I hope that I can instill this within my own family someday!

2. Nicole Wiens

Hi Leona,

I echo many of your thoughts. In fact, while I was reading Hannah Alper’s blog (https://callmehannah.ca/) I found myself surprised by the maturity and dedication her blog demonstrates. She is extraordinary and dedicated. But for every one Hannah Alper, there are millions of youth not doing the same, mature, socially beneficial things with their cell phones and lap tops.

I also agree with what Alyssa says above; I too grew up without a cell phone and often think of how fortunate I was to live my teenage years in a time when life – and mistakes – weren’t publicly documented.

• Hannah Alper

Hey Nicole! It’s Hannah Alper (; Thank you so much for this message. That’s honestly all I’ve been doing since I was 9 years old. Trying to use social media for social good and as a platform to raise awareness, tackle issues, and inspire other people to do the same and follow their own passions. Thank you so much for your kind words – it means a lot.