A Journey with Technlogy

Responsibility Vs Guidance

Another good topic to discuss at the table – when we started out I felt comfortable stating that I was on the agree side. My viewpoint was quickly swayed in the first few minutes into the disagrees opening statement – “Students arrive at school with a digital footprint”. Despite there being great points on both sides I feel that I need to further investigate into this topic to make my final decision. Valid points that I heard from the agree and disagree side:

• Educators are best positioned to work with students, can’t assume parents will
  • Families need education and support to help make change
  • Online spaces are real spaces that we can’t ignore
  • Teachers are not adequately educated to help students to understand their footprint
  • Model and teach alongside of them – guidance
  • Laws need to change to protect our youth
  • Parents are not aware of what digital citizenship means when the sign the forms
https://sites.google.com/a/yarmouthschools.org/digital-discussion/Home/digital-footprint

With proper training and more conversations I certainly would become more confident in providing guidance. I’m hesitant to state that it is the sole responsibility of teachers to help students develop a digital footprint when there are so many areas that need to be considered. Kimberely Kipp spoke very well in her closing remarks on the disagree side. The following are some of her remarks that helped to finalize my switch to the disagree side.

• parental involvement and education,
  • a child’s right to autonomy and consent, consistent, current, and
  • resources for teachers
  • adequate and accessible digital security
  • strong government policies, and ultimately
  • corporate transparency and rights-respecting policies
A great resource for teachers to use in our Classrooms!

If teachers are going to have the added responsibility to teach about digital footprints and model digital citizenship in our lives than I would certainly appreciate better training. In a study that was conducted with middle years aged students it was determined that many middle years students were aware of cyber safety and digital footprints but aren’t award of how to make their digital footprint a positive influence on society. The study revealed a few interesting results that I believe are important that we use a stepping stones to build our lessons in our classrooms if we are going to be tasked with teaching about digital footprints and digital citizenship.

• Going online is a normal activity done by many youth, however parental involvement and supervision with online activity is varied
  • Online communication is often exchanged on social media apps between people they already now in their face to face relations
  • Some student are aware of online identity, many have no clue
  • Students are concerned with their cyber safety and it shapes their digital identities
  • More management strategies need to be implemented that reflect the age of the student

From reading through articles and watching videos after the conclusion of our debate this week I have develop a better awareness as to why it needs to be a team effort when tackling who is responsible for teaching concepts of digital citizenship and digital footprints. Interestingly enough if I had heard about sharenting years ago – I would like have a more sound reason to share with others why I don’t post pictures of my kids online very often.

I have always been hesitant to put photos of my children on my Facebook or Instagram feed. Never have I heard the term “Sharenting” until now. This post listed by the disagree side has provided me with more awareness on the legal reasons for not sharing as a parent. I don’t want to create my child’s digital footprint for them, they each need to have the right to create what they want that to look like. Going forward I will always ask there consent before posting – as a parent that is the least that I can do to respect them as people no matter their age.

1. Sushmeet Kaur

Hey Leona,
    It was a very nice blog. I totally feel you that many terms like Sharenting were not introduced to us earlier. Many people out there still do not even know about what digital footprints are. However, it should be the responsibility of all parents to take consent of their kids as to what they want their digital footprints to look like. I wish we could educate all parents about this concept so they can avoid posting information about their kids on social platforms.

2. Bret McMann

Leo – another awesome post. I share many of the sentiments that you outlined in your post. One difference was that I started and stayed on the agree side. I would never put all of the responsiblity on my sons teachers to show him how to be safe online and behave proerply in that space; I would see them as a teammate in the game of creating a responsible digital citizen.

3. Echo

Hi Leona,

Great post. I feel parents also have a responsibility to educate digital footprint after the debate and reading materials. It is probably a shared responsibility between teachers and parents. Teachers could take responsibility during school hours, and parents could collaborate with teachers and monitor children’s digital footprint after school hours. We cannot place all responsibilities on teachers’ shoulder. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Echo