Who’s In My Pocket

Who’s In My Pocket

Whos In My Pocket task is a task that asks us to choose one child that I think about wonder about and want to learn more about, I chose a grade 8 child that I am currently working with in my pre-internship and my story I have attached below.

The grade 8 class I am currently learning with is an amazing group of students who all have their own different ways of learning, They are all special in their own ways, but this one little boy really stood out to me from when we first walked into the class. when my partner and I first started our pre-internship the teacher talked about many of the students and their needs to succeed he was one of them and the teacher stated that he has a couple of diagnoses including being on the autistic scale. He was the sweetest little boy when my partner and I first came to meet the students and the teachers he was the first one at the door when the class got told we were there and greeted us and said “Welcome to this school were so happy to have you”. On our first day, Wednesday spending the whole day with the class we got to get to know most of the students as well as I really got to know this boy. This boy has gone through a lot of home issues from what I have gathered from what he has said to my partner and I.

During the get-to-know-us activity that my partner and I did with the class to get to know the students and for students to get to know us, one of the activities was a sheet for the students to fill out for us to get to know a little bit about them and one of the questions we had on there was “ what do you like doing on your free time”. This boy answered the question by saying he spends most of his time in his room alone or listening to his mom fight with his dad when I read this my heart dropped. The teacher also explained to us that she always tries to keep him on task during school as he is very behind in the grade level. Another significant statement that the boy made to us was that “ one side of his brain is 4 years old and the other side of his brain is 12 years old”. This makes me think of his future in high school where will he be placed, as most high schools are not as caring as elementary schools. One thing about this grade 8 class is they are very welcoming and understanding about each and every student and the special in them. All his actions in class were special and all the students in the class did not have any reactions to it which I think is amazing.

My first few experiences with this boy have allowed me to dig in deeper with my teacher’s strategies, going forward with this class to make sure I am meeting his expectations as well as everyone in the class, as this boy will always be in my pocket. From the first day of our pre-internship to the last day of our 3-week block I am aiming for myself to feel comfortable with all the different strategies I will have to adapt to teaching in this class and all my future classes and students.