Assignment 1

For Assignment one I have chosen the topic of Hidden Curriculum, I picked this topic because it is one that I am really interested in because children can pick up so much without adults even realizing. The hidden curriculum is something that can change so often, I think it has a very powerful influence on students. I have one article that I have chosen to use as a source in my essay. The article is called “Tracing and countering the hidden” talks about the hidden expectations within a classroom, the things that are not written on a piece of paper but children are still required to do it. 

This article also goes on to say that is society that also sets the hidden curriculum, with the values of people and what is acceptable. This article stated that there are four, important layers of curriculum, and they are different for countries and locations, with society’s values changing from place to place. This article also shows how important it is to look beyond the obvious and do a deep analysis of the many hidden layers that shape our curriculum, and that it is more than meets the eye. It also says we need to dig deeper so that we can better educate students.

I have not decided whether or not to continue with this idea, because there are so many different possibilities to choose from and I have struggled to find another article to go along with the one that I have already picked out. If I do continue with this idea I would dig deeper into the meaning of what defines the hidden curriculum and what it looks like here in Saskatchewan. I also want to see how it can change from teacher to teacher because everyone sees the hidden curriculum differently.

2 Replies to “Assignment 1”

1. Sounds like an interesting topic! You made a good point about how the hidden curriculum changes from place to place and even from teacher to teacher. I am also curious to know more about what the hidden curriculum looks like in Saskatchewan, this would be good to include in your summary if you decide to go with this topic. Good luck with the assignment!

2. Hi Paityn,
    Your article summary is great and was straight forward. I was actually interested in this topic/concept as well because I’m taking a class that talks about observational learning, where children could learn just by observing without their parents knowing as you’ve mentioned in your blog.