Professional Learning

Journey Towards Reconciliation

To represent my learning in my first term at the University of Regina and my journey to reconciliation, I chose to aesthetically represent my thoughts in a drawing of a beaver. While this drawing is fairly simple, the meaning behind it is much more than what can be seen. The most important part of this picture occurred while I was drawing it. It is really true when they say the most important part is the journey, not the destination.

I chose to draw this picture of the beaver because I felt that the 7 grandfather teachings significantly stuck with me, especially the teaching of the beaver. The beaver represents wisdom. To be wise is to find your gift. everybody is given a gift and to be wise is to find this gift and use this gift to serve the people, your family and those in your community. This message really stuck with me and at first, I was not sure exactly why, but while I was drawing this picture, I was able to close out distractions and really focus on this message and reflect.

What I discovered during my reflection is that the reason it resonated with me so much was because that is the reason I decided to pursue a path of becoming an educator. I have always felt that I was good at helping others and especially helping others learn, so I made the decision a few years ago to join the Faculty of Education at the University of Regina. I feel that my gift is helping others and I have set myself on a path of being able to use that gift to serve the community and others by teaching the students of the future.