What it means to be a good student

To be a good student is to follow and respect rules and expectations. A teacher will typically have expectations for their student’s which is what may be their criteria for a “good” student. For example, Kumashiro shared two stories of students in which he thought that the students were not good students. However, they just learned differently and did not fit into his criteria to be a good student. Kumashiro took a while to realize that they were not bad students and that they just learned differently and viewed things in a different way.

Students who may be privileged in regards to the definition of a “good” student are students who accurately fit into the category. Students who fit into to what a teacher views as a good student are most likely to succeed than students who are more challenging to teach and come across as “bad” students. What becomes impossible in regards to the commonsense is that not every student will learn the same way. Teachers may find it hard to move away from their commonsense idea of a “good” student but they must try to break that commonsense thought in order to help each student succeed. It will be impossible for every student to fit the fixed idea of a “good” student.

1. Brayden Larson

Hey Paige,
    I drew the exact response to this article and blog post response. The question I posed for myself and will pose to you is, what to do you think we can do in order to make every student a good student? As you stated, not everybody is on the same learning level or some have difficulties completing tasks that others may not. So, what do we do or how do we teach in order to get concepts and skills across. In my opinion, it may mean that we have to spend more time on a certain area then we like in order to get the meaning across. Or it could mean we need to provide different examples throughout the entire class in order to get the concept or skill we are trying to teaching across. In my opinion, the second option is not such a bad idea as it can be used as a reinforcement to other students who may like more examples in order to get a more depth into the content. They may find something that works better in one example than in other examples that may accelerate their learning.

• pnd909

Hey! I agree, I think reinforcing difficult concepts through a variety examples is beneficial to both students who understand and students who do not. Another idea I had was also just explaining things a different way to a student who is struggling. I know for myself when learning math as a kid, I couldn’t quite understand what was being taught until the teacher showed me an alternate way to do something. This may not work for every concept and class being taught, but there are ways of explaining things in simpler or different ways. Also, each student is a different type of learner. So what works for a visual learner won’t necessarily work for linguistic learner.

2. Marissa Taylor

I think you made a good point about how there is no definition to a “good” student but that every student individually learns different and your job as an educator is to adapt your teaching style and lessons to accommodate these differences.

3. Alayna Schroepfer

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Actually rarely can i encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail to the head. Your notion is outstanding; ab muscles a thing that inadequate people are speaking intelligently about. I will be very happy which i came across this at my find some thing in regards to this.

4. mama bear t shirt

It’s hard to come by educated people about this subject,
    however, you seem like you know what you’re
    talking about! Thanks

5. roku.com/link

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100 sure. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you|

6. espn.com/activate

The next time I read a blog, Hopefully it won’t disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I genuinely thought you would have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of moaning about something that you could fix if you were not too busy seeking attention.

7. Archie

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web site, because i want enjoyment,
    since this this web site conations really nice funny stuff too.

8. Rhoda

I was very happy to find this great site. I wanted to thank you for
    ones time for this wonderful read!! I definitely loved every bit of it and I have you saved to fav to see new information on your website.