Online Learning – Week 7

October 18, 2022 0 By Nicole Powers

Thankfully, we are out of the woods and we do not have to return to online/blended learning. During the pandemic I relied heavily on Google Classroom and Google Meets. When the pandemic began in 2020, I was working at Adult Campus in the flex program primarily teaching modified English 30. We were given direction that all students received their credits and were to be offered supplemental learning. I planned my units and printed booklets in preparation for my students to come to the school for their work packages. We were instructed to use paper because many of our students did not have access to technology or internet access. I must say it was incredibly rewarding telling students they were granted the credit, some even graduated because of this last credit. I remember having a conversation with one student where I told him he had enough credits to graduate, but I was happy to extend him the opportunity to participate in further supplemental learning. He asked what that meant, and I said I could provide him the materials and assignments to truly complete the course over the next 2 months. His exact words were “ha yeah right lady, have a good one” click. Awesome.

https://tenor.com/search/hang-up-the-phone-gifs

In the fall of 2020, I got a job at Thom Collegiate where we got to experience in person learning, blended learning, two-day rotations, everything. At this point, I was just trying to stay afloat in my new position and teaching assignments it all seems like a blur. I am thankful that chapter of my teaching career is over because I struggled and felt like I was failing myself and my students. My biggest strength as an educator is forming relationships with my students, specifically through coaching. I was unable to do that effectively the 2020/2021 school year. If we had to shift online again, I would find a way to manage, but if it was a long-term situation, I think I would have to find another career.

In the video Tyler says to his father that online teaching will reach thousands more students than he will ever be able to teach. I completely agree with Tyler, I think online learning has the potential to help millions of people around the world access education. Right now, in my career I must also consider quality over quantity. My goal as a relationship focused teacher is to help the students walk through my door walk across the stage in their final year.

Tyler has a lot of interesting points about the online learning community. He makes the comment “why am I paying a university for you to teach me online”. I am sure we have all taken a class where we used YouTube or tutors to get us through a course. Hello Math 103. He talks about graduating from higher education being a combination of in person, online and external sources of education. I can absolutely see how this would be beneficial for higher learners. However, that brings up a lot of questions for traditional schooling. Could this be applied to elementary and high school settings? Will my job become obsolete? Will the world need all these teachers? Will the government find and pay the best of the best to create online content for students? How much money could be saved if we closed schools and universities and everyone learned online from anywhere?

https://tenor.com/search/online-learning-gifs

My entire master’s degree has been done through online courses. I thrive in online courses; I am independent and can teach myself well. Online learning is simply not for everyone. Whether it does not work with their learning style, financial situation, or any other reason. Melanie Arden’s article highlights 20 distance learning tools to accelerate online learning. I have personally used a number of these or heard of the various programs being successful in my colleague’s classrooms. At the end of the article she states communication lines need to be open for students to succeed. Online/distance education only works for students who have the support to value and prioritize their education. Additionally, the financial support as well as the intrinsic and extrinsic motivation to complete their work. A high number of the students I work with at my community school do not have the support, tools, or skills to be successful in online learning.

http://https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/news-and-media/2022/october/06/government-of-saskatchewan-centralizing-online-learning-for-the-2023-24-school-year

Matt shared this ^ article in the Discord last week; I already felt a tad threatened. In our school we typically start out with XX number of teachers for our approximately 700 students. After the first semester we lose a significant number of students. We typically have 2-3 temporary teachers on staff that lose their position the second semester due to dwindling numbers. Are our schools going to get smaller as kids make the shift to distance education? I am a teacher for the students. I am truly torn on my opinion of online/distance learning.

• How would you feel if your roles changed and focused on online learning?
  • I think the best part of my job is building relationships with my students, do you think it is possible to have the same quality of relationships online?