I Believe

As I continue on my journey of learning, I will come across statements that “I believe” will shape my story and who I am as an educator and person. These can be questions or statements that make me reflect on my own behavior and how I can represent myself with integrity. This is where I will continuously add to show where my story will take me. I hope these bring you a more positive perspective and insight as they have brought to me!

“Every person is unique and has their own style”

“Be aware of “who’s” narrative I am teaching, and learning”

“As teacher’s we can invite the student to learn, in the end they have the power to decline or accept. How will I present and honor my invitation?”

“Every teacher possesses power, how will I choose to use mine?”

“To me, reconciliation is also honoring and acknowledging the land that we live on and share together”

“We all come from different walks of life, and we all need to accept and embrace those differences”

“For most of my school life the teacher-student relationship was built on the dominance of power and control”

“Knowing the truth is only half of it – it’s what you do with it that matters”

“Everything we do matters, and everything has a ripple effect”

“Always give credit and acknowledge where stories come from when we are the messenger” – Charlene Bearhead

“Children come to us with their own gifts, not empty vessels open for learning. They all have something to offer” – Charlene Bearhead

“Integrity, Truth, Honesty, Justice, Honor are gifts that children have to bring” – Charlene Bearhead

“work with Indigenous People, families and Communities: Don’t do for, Do with”

“talk and reflect on white privileges and how it affects others”

“equally is making sure everyone gets the same. Equity makes sure all individual needs are met”

“Learning is doing” – John Dewey

“Give students something to do not something to Learn; and doing is of such a nature as to demand thinking, that learning naturally results” – John Dewey