So I haven’t posted much in the last couple of weeks. I have been feeling completely overwhelmed, and as a result have been having some difficulty functioning.  School and then a couple of family emergencies, have been enough to knock me out.  I am back though, and although I have not been posting, I have been practicing my sign language. I have found my favorite way (so far) to learn…  It is on you tube… American Sign Language – ASL with Dr. Bill Vicars.

Initially, I actually found this video quite confusing. There is no talking, and although he teaches the signs to a lady in the video, half of the time he goes off script. He also signs VERY fast. I can read the script at the bottom of the page which is good, because I wouldn’t be able to keep up with his signs….  At first I decided that although I enjoyed watching Dr. Bill, I wasn’t sure I could learn that way, however after watching the video over the course of a week and a half, and practicing the signs, I found that I was learning and also remembering some signs I used to know.  Dr. Bill is a very engaging guy. He is a funny person, and makes learning fun. The lady he is teaching sign to is also an engaging person, and I enjoyed watching her learn.

The method itself is something like being submerged into a culture, which truly probably is the best way to learn anyway. He goes through a cycle of hand signs, and then does a bit of a test, and then teaches new ones. By the end of the video, if you have truly been practicing you have actually picked up a lot of useful phrases, such as “What is your name, my name is… , nice to meet you, teacher, student, learn, are you deaf, are you a hearing person, are you a teacher, ect. Even though I have already done a week with Bill Vicars, I think I will do another one before I try Tik Tok. I am having too much fun on this site!

Bill Vicars - YouTube

This picture is from Bill Vicar’s You Tube page….