Well.. maybe.. Facebook CAN teach you something. Since I have been on my signing journey I have tried multiple ways to learn sign. I have gone to various websites, and I have tried You Tube. This is my least favorite way, but it might have something to do with who I am as a learner. I find I learn better by example, and as this is just a visual it really doesn’t work well for me. There is too much room for error in the way I perceive the sign. There is also nothing in these pictures to really engage me and keep my interest. I would have to be pretty motivated to learn this way. I did however pick some signs I was familiar with so you could see the examples they have up on the Facebook page.

No photo description available.

These are some of the signs that you can learn from the public facebook group

Sign Language.

No photo description available.

I was curious to know where these came from, so I scrolled further down the facebook page, and discovered that it was from another wordpress website called free-printable-functional-sign-language-for-the-childcare-setting

These are apparently free printables, so that was cool.

As I read this website, I discovered that signs can also be used for children with Downs Syndrome, apraxia and other speech delay issues.

On this website, Baby Sign Languag     

we can see that sign is also used for babies. I did know about this and have known some people who taught their babies some signs. Unfortunately, many of the signs on this site are no longer going to working Urls. I may explore this further later. In the meantime, Here is a short clip of me doing some signs from the facebook page

Simple Signs

This is the link. I would have added the video, but it was not co operating!

1 Comment

Jordan Puscus · November 21, 2022 at 4:45 pm

Hey Robyn, it was interesting to read your feedback about the learning process. For my project, I have found videos are the best as I am learning renovations and actually seeing these things done is the most helpful I found. But this is a good reminder that we all do learn in different ways and some methods work better than others so I appreciated your honesty in sharing that. You definitely chose a challenging project and not sure it’s one that I would find easy!