EDTC 300 / Learning Project

Korean Cuisine Unveiled: Main Dish Edition!

Week 4! Let’s do this!

Every nation has a defining factor when it comes to their main dishes or even just food in general. Take for example: Canada is known for the iconic poutine dish, Italy for the aromatic, vibrant, and thin-crust pizza, Japan for their fresh and artful sushi, Australia for their historical and flavorful meat pies, and the list could go on! Are you now thinking of a dish that defines your country or culture? It’s quite fascinating to think of it!
I am so excited to have come this far in my learning project. I wish everyone is feeling the same about their learning project progress. Without further ado, let me introduce the classic Korean main dish that I will try to recreate this week. Drum roll for Bibimbap!

The origin of bibimbap dates back to the Joseon dynasty in the 1300’s- 1900’s. Traditionally, they would prepare this meal at the end of the lunar year to welcome the new year with a fresh start. Then later on, bibimbap became popular during the harvest season when more meals needed to be prepared for farmers working out on the fields. The versatility of this dish makes it manageable to make all-year round.
Let me break down the meaning of bibimbap into two words: “bibim” which means to mix and “bap” means rice in the Korean language. Since rice is a staple in every Korean household and the same is true with kimchi as a side dish, it is common for these two to be paired together. Bibimbap is a versatile dish and so any vegetable can be used to make it, but the most commonly used vegetables are spinach, which contains many nutrients like, vitamins A, C, & K and is also a good source of iron and potassium; carrots which is high in B vitamins, zucchini which is good for gut health, and bean sprouts which contains a lot of vitamin C. None of these vegetables appeal to you? Fret not!!! You can incorporate any vegetables your palate is comfortable with. For the protein component of bibimbap- the commonly used meat is ground beef. However, you can customize your protein choices according to you preferences and dietary restrictions. The main sauce for bibimbap is gochujang, which is the Korean version of red pepper paste. This sauce has a sweet and salty component to it which makes the dish really flavorful.

Below is the full video of the online resource that I utilize for this learning project:

I decided to recreate this dish because it’s pleasing to the eyes and to the taste buds!! I guarantee- this dish would be enjoyed by anyone- young or old! The first time I ate bibimbap was when I was onboard Korean Air, and I really enjoyed it! That was also the same time I ate kimchi for the second time. I can tell you that Bibimbap ang kimchi are made for each other. The fusion of flavors simply complements each other giving the dish a distinct and delectable flavor. For this learning project I followed Maangchi’s website. This was the same resource I used for the kimchi recipe in week 2.  I followed it step-by-step. However,  since I was not able to find gosari , I used tofu as a replacement. Because of the versatility of this dish, it’s so much easier to substitute an ingredient. My goal: To have a vibrant, delicious, and a healthy dish that my family will enjoy, and hopefully, anyone whose reading this as well will be interested in giving it a try! Other online resources I used as a guide for this week’s learning project is posted at the end of this page. I hope you find these post and resources helpful when you decide to give bibimbap a try! Have fun and I

Learning reflection:

Resources:

Canva

How to Make Bibimbap 

Korea’s Famous Rice Dish

Maangchi- Bibimbap

Seoul Mart

1. Hi Mariia!

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the bibimbap! It’s such a delicious dish, isn’t it? Learning about the meanings behind the words “bibim” and “bap” adds a whole new layer of appreciation to the meal. I’m thrilled that you’re finding inspiration in my culinary adventures, and it’s always a pleasure to share new discoveries with you. My family and I are indeed loving the variety of flavors we’re exploring each week. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement—it means a lot! Stay tuned for more exciting recipes to come!

2. Hi Rowena,
    I am never disappointed with your post. I am always looking forward to reading your post every week and you have inspired me to try Korean cuisine. You are doing a fantastic job and I know this course has taught you a lot about yourself and what you can do. Please keep blogging after this course because you are an exceptionally good blogger, and your posts are always so fascinating

1. Hi Ola!

Thank you so much for your ongoing support and kind words! It means a lot to hear that you enjoy reading my posts and that I’ve inspired you to try Korean cuisine—it’s such a flavorful and diverse culinary journey!
      Your encouragement truly motivates me, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to share my experiences with you. This course has indeed taught me a lot, not just about cooking but also about myself and my capabilities. Your words inspire me to keep blogging even after the course ends.
      Thank you once again for your continued support and encouragement. I’m excited to continue sharing my adventures with you in the future!

3. Hi Rowena! Bibimbap is one of my favorites! It turned out amazing! Now I’m craving some Korean food haha. I had no idea that “bibim” means to mix and “bap” means rice in Korean. I like learning something new by following your journey, so thank you for sharing! You are doing fantastic, and I bet both you and your family are loving those new recipes you’re trying out each week! Excited to see what’s next! Great job!!