EDTC 300 / Learning Project

Complete the Package with a Digital Cookbook

Exploring Korean cuisine has been an incredibly rewarding journey for me. It started with preparing a variety of dishes, each offering a unique taste of Korea’s culinary tradition. From crafting an appetizer that set the tone for the meal to mixing up a refreshing beverage, every step was a lesson in the delicate balance of flavors and textures that define Korean food. Trying out kimchi was a revelation—the complex blend of spicy, tangy flavors with its distinctive fermentation process added a new dimension to my cooking repertoire.

One of the highlights was preparing a traditional doenjang stew, where the deep, earthy flavors of fermented soybean paste combined harmoniously with hearty vegetables and tender tofu. Creating a bibimbap was another delight—layering vibrant vegetables, savory meat, and a perfectly fried egg atop steamed rice, showcasing the beauty of Korean cuisine’s presentation and balance. To cap off the meal, I ventured into making mango bingsu, a refreshing dessert that paired sweet mangoes with shaved ice and condensed milk, offering a delightful contrast to the savory dishes.

Throughout this culinary adventure, the joy of learning and sharing these dishes with my family was immensely fulfilling. Each dish not only broadened my understanding of Korean cuisine but also provided practical experience in preparing meals that brought joy and satisfaction to those I care about. It’s been more than just cooking; it’s been a journey into Korean culture and a celebration of the flavors that bring people together around the table. As a culmination of my 6-week exploration into the vibrant world of Korean cuisine, I have compiled a digital cookbook that captures the recipes, techniques, and cultural insights I gained throughout this immersive learning experience.

Week 1: Introduction to my the Flavorful World of South Korean Cuisine

Intrigued by the bold, peppery flavors of Korean cuisine through interactions with Korean students and friends over the years, I decided to embark on this learning project as a way to deepen my understanding and appreciation of this rich culinary tradition. I decided to fully immerse myself in this rich tradition for my learning project. Over the last 5 weeks, I recreated one Korean dish or beverage per week, devoting time on Saturdays to shop, prepare, and document the process. Week 1 focused on mastering a classic appetizer to build a foundation with essential ingredients and flavors. Week 2 focused on beverage and side dish. Week 3 was a stew exploration. Week 4 focused on an iconic main dish, and Week 5 culminated with a refreshing summer dessert.

To fully immerse myself in this culinary journey, I have set aside dedicated time each week to ensure I can give my complete attention to the process. Every Saturday for the last five weeks was devoted to bringing an authentic Korean dish to life. I started by carefully sourcing all the necessary ingredients, taking the time to explore specialty stores to find the freshest, most authentic items. Once my ingredients are gathered, I will clear my schedule to allow for unhurried preparation and cooking. By dedicating focused “kitchen time” every Saturday, I recreated these dishes with the admiration they deserve while documenting the journey through photos and videos.

Week 2: Appetizer Edition (Sotteok- Sotteok)

I made sotteok-sotteok, which are crispy and chewy rice cakes. Frying the rice cakes to get the right texture was hard at first, but after a few tries, I got the hang of it. Coating the fried rice cakes in the sweet and spicy gochujang sauce was really tasty. The biggest lesson I learned was to be patient and pay close attention to details. In the end, these little rice cake bites showed the tasty balance of flavors and textures in Korean food. As I ate them, I thought about how even a simple appetizer has centuries of food traditions behind it. It made me appreciate the skill in Korean cooking more. For anyone trying this dish, I’d recommend making extra – these addictive little bites disappeared quickly!

Recreating sotteok-sotteok taught me several lessons and offered meaningful reflections:

• Satisfaction: There’s a great sense of satisfaction in creating a dish that’s both tasty and visually appealing. Seeing the caramelized sauce glistening on the skewers and hearing the crunch as you bite into them is incredibly rewarding.
  • Experimentation: Making sotteok-sotteok allows for experimentation with different sauces and cooking methods. Each variation brings out different distinction in flavor and texture.
  • Sharing: This appetizer is perfect for gatherings. Making and eating sotteok-sotteok with friends or family adds to the joy of the experience.

Overall, making sotteok-sotteok is a delightful culinary adventure that combines simple ingredients with bold flavors, resulting in a dish that’s sure to please any crowd.

Week 3: Beverage Edition (Dalgona Coffee) and Side Dish Edition (Kimchi)

Making dalgona coffee was a fun and rewarding experience. I mixed instant coffee, sugar, and hot water, then whipped it until it became a thick, frothy foam. I spooned this foam over a glass of milk, creating a drink that looked and tasted amazing. It was exciting to see how simple ingredients could turn into something so special. Sharing it with friends and family brought a touch of café-style luxury to our home, making the whole process even more enjoyable.

• Simple Ingredients Work: Basic items like instant coffee, sugar, and water can make something special.
  • Be Patient: Whipping the coffee mix takes time and effort, but it’s worth it.
  • Calming Activity: Whisking can be relaxing and help you focus.
  • Looks Matter: The fluffy coffee on top of milk looks great and makes the drink more enjoyable.
  • Share with Others: Sharing the coffee with friends and family adds joy and brings people together.

Overall, the experience reminded me of the beauty in simple pleasures and the joy of creating and sharing something delightful.

Recreating kimchi was a fascinating and rewarding journey. I started with fresh Napa cabbage and various vegetables, then made a spicy, flavorful paste from Korean chili powder, garlic, ginger, and fish sauce. The process of massaging the cabbage with salt to draw out moisture and then fermenting it with the spicy mixture was both hands-on and educational. Each step, from preparing the ingredients to waiting for the fermentation, taught me patience and the importance of tradition in Korean cuisine. The final product, with its tangy, spicy, and complex flavors, was a testament to the transformative power of fermentation. Sharing homemade kimchi with friends and family brought a sense of accomplishment and a deeper appreciation for this iconic dish.

Recreating dalgona coffe and kimchi taught me several lessons and offered meaningful reflections:

1. Patience Pays Off: The fermentation process requires time, but the wait results in deep, complex flavors.
  2. Cultural Appreciation: Understanding and following traditional Korean methods gave me a greater respect for the cultural significance of kimchi.
  3. Hands-On Learning: Massaging the cabbage with salt and preparing the spicy paste was a tactile, immersive experience.
  4. Health Benefits: The fermentation not only adds flavor but also creates beneficial probiotics, highlighting the health benefits of homemade kimchi.
  5. Sharing and Connection: Sharing my homemade kimchi with friends and family fostered a sense of community and accomplishment.

Overall, the journey of making kimchi was enriching, teaching me the value of patience, tradition, and the joy of sharing good food.

Week 4: Stew Edition (Doenjang Jjigae)

Recreating doenjang jjigae, a traditional Korean soybean paste stew, was a rewarding experience. I started with rice water as the base, which added a subtle sweetness and depth to the stew. I then added fresh vegetables, tofu, and the essential ingredient, doenjang (fermented soybean paste). This journey taught me the importance of balance and depth in cooking, as the rich, umami flavors of the doenjang blended beautifully with the simplicity of the other ingredients. Each step, from selecting fresh produce to simmering the stew, emphasized the beauty of traditional Korean cuisine. The final product, a hearty and flavorful stew, provided comfort and satisfaction, and sharing it with loved ones enhanced my appreciation for this beloved dish and its cultural significance.

Recreating doenjang jjigae taught me several lessons and offered meaningful reflections:

1. Ingredient Balance: The importance of balancing flavors, textures, and ingredients—like fresh vegetables, tofu, and doenjang—was crucial in creating a harmonious and satisfying stew.
  2. Simplicity and Depth: Using rice water instead of traditional anchovy-kelp broth showed me how simple substitutions can still yield complex and delicious flavors, adding a subtle sweetness to the stew.
  3. Cultural Appreciation: Exploring doenjang jjigae’s traditional preparation methods deepened my appreciation for Korean culinary heritage and the role of fermentation in creating rich, umami flavors.
  4. Cooking as Connection: Sharing the finished doenjang jjigae with others not only sparked conversations about food but also created moments of connection and shared enjoyment around the table.
  5. Patience and Technique: The slow simmering process taught me patience in cooking, allowing flavors to develop fully and ensuring a deeply satisfying end result.

Overall, recreating doenjang jjigae was not just about making a dish; it was a journey of discovery, appreciation, and enjoyment of Korean cuisine’s depth and richness.

Week 5: Main Dish Edition (Bibimbap)

Recreating bibimbap was a fun cooking experience that showed me the delicious mix of flavors and textures in Korean food. I started with warm rice and added colorful veggies like spinach, carrots, bean sprouts, and mushrooms, alongside tasty, seasoned ground beef. Topping it all with a fried egg and spicy gochujang sauce brought everything together perfectly. Making and sharing this dish with loved ones was a joyful way to appreciate Korean cuisine’s rich flavors and simple beauty.

Recreating bibimbap taught me several lessons and offered meaningful reflections:

1. Balance is Key: The dish showed me the importance of balancing flavors, textures, and colors. Each ingredient—from the vegetables to the protein and sauce—played a crucial role in creating a harmonious and satisfying meal.
  2. Artistry in Cooking: Assembling bibimbap felt like creating a work of art. The careful arrangement of ingredients and the final mixing before eating highlighted the beauty of presentation in food.
  3. Versatility: Bibimbap taught me about the versatility of Korean cuisine. It’s adaptable to different tastes and preferences, allowing for creativity in ingredient choices and combinations.
  4. Cultural Appreciation: Exploring bibimbap’s traditional elements deepened my appreciation for Korean culinary traditions and the importance of rice as a staple food.
  5. Sharing Food: Sharing homemade bibimbap with others fostered a sense of connection and enjoyment. It sparked conversations about food and culture, creating memorable dining experiences.

Overall, recreating bibimbap was not just about cooking a meal but also about appreciating the art, balance, and cultural significance embedded in Korean cuisine.

Week 6: Dessert Edition (Mango Bingsu)

Recreating mango bingsu was a delightful culinary experience that introduced me to the refreshing and indulgent world of Korean shaved ice desserts. Starting with finely shaved ice as a base, I layered slices of fresh mango generously over the top. The ice was light and fluffy, perfectly complementing the sweet and juicy mangoes. A drizzle of condensed milk added a creamy sweetness, while a sprinkle of chopped nuts provided a delightful crunch. Assembling and enjoying this dessert felt like creating a cool, tropical treat that balanced textures and flavors beautifully. Sharing mango bingsu with friends and family brought smiles and appreciation for its simplicity and the joy it brings on a hot day.

Recreating mango bingsu taught me several lessons and offered meaningful reflections:

1. Texture and Temperature: The contrast between the fluffy shaved ice and the juicy mango slices highlighted the importance of texture in desserts, creating a satisfying mouthfeel.
  2. Simple Ingredients, Big Impact: Using just mango, shaved ice, condensed milk, and nuts showed me how simple ingredients can come together to create a delicious and visually appealing dessert.
  3. Refreshing and Indulgent: Mango bingsu struck a perfect balance between being refreshing enough for a hot day yet indulgent with its creamy condensed milk topping.
  4. Cultural Appreciation: Exploring Korean desserts like bingsu deepened my appreciation for Korean culinary traditions and their emphasis on fresh ingredients and balanced flavors.
  5. Sharing Joy: Sharing mango bingsu with others sparked conversations about food and culture, creating moments of joy and connection over a shared love of desserts.

Overall, recreating mango bingsu was a delightful exploration of flavors and textures, showcasing the beauty of simplicity and the joy of sharing delicious food with loved ones.

My exploration of Korean cuisine has been an incredibly rewarding experience, one that was not only enjoyable but also highly informative. Through recreating various Korean dishes in my own kitchen, I gained a deeper appreciation for the flavors, techniques, and cultural significance behind each meal. Beyond the flavorful foods, I also had the opportunity to learn basic Korean words and phrases, which allowed me to connect more with the rich cultural heritage that shapes this cuisine. This project has been a journey of discovery of the richness of the Korean culture. I feel enriched by this experience and grateful for the opportunity to expand my knowledge and understanding of such a fascinating culture.

Thank you everyone for being a part of this journey with me! I truly appreciate all your kind and encouraging comments😊

Take care, everyone!

-Rowena

1. Hi, Rowena!
    WOW!! Your digital cookbook looks amazing! I definitely have to try making the coffee from week three. Your project wrap-up is of course aesthetically pleasing and easy to follow. Bravo!

2. Hi Rowena!
    What an amazing journey! You’ve put in a lot of hard work into this project, and I bet you’re feeling really proud of yourself! Your blog posts about Korean cuisine were super informative, so thanks for sharing. I’m eager to try making bibimbap again using your tips. Everything you made looked so delicious! 🙂

1. Hello Mariia!
      Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed my blog posts about Korean cuisine. It means a lot to know that the information was helpful and inspiring to you.
      I’m especially glad my bibimbap tips caught your interest. It became one of my favorite dishes to make. I’d love to hear how your next attempt turns out.
      You’re right that this project has been quite a journey. There were certainly challenging moments, but overall it’s been incredibly rewarding. Your encouragement and support mean a lot to me! Enjoy your summer!

3. Hi Brittany!
    Thanks you for your thoughtful message! I’m happy you liked reading about my Korean food adventure, especially the kimchi part. It’s great that you want to make your own kimchi now. I hope it goes well for you – it takes some work, but it’s totally worth it! Homemade kimchi usually tastes fresher and better.
    Mango Bingsu is perfect for hot days. I hope you enjoy Mango Bingsu yourself this summer!

Take care,
    Rowena

4. Hello Rowena,
    I loved reading about all the dishes and recipes you tried out for this learning experience. I was particularly interested in the Kimchi post. I buy Kimchi from Costco and it is excellent. I have never considered making my own though. Nor did I know this was considered a Korean side dish. I have written down the recipe you have provided in your wrap-up video and I am looking forward to making my own now. Another recipe I wouldn’t mind trying that looked delicious was the Mango Bingsu. This dessert will be a nice alternative to ice cream on a hot summer day! Thank you for sharing your Korean Cuisine experience.