EDTC 300

Tech and Yours Truly

A single smartphone resting on a wooden table, its screen illuminated with a colorful app interface, highlighting the convenience and connectivity of mobile technology in everyday life.
Image by Germany from Adobe Stock

Most of my digital activities revolve around work and school, making up about 90% of my online routine. I’m comfortable with Google classroom, EDSBY, Canva, UR Courses, and Spotify– which helps me stay afloat. Thanks to EDTC300 class, I’ve recently embraced Discord for positive social interactions online. I also hop on Facebook occasionally to message my sister and her family in the Philippines. Honestly, I am not tech-savvy person, as I’ve used GPS once because of the stress it causes me. While I appreciate how technology simplifies life, I tend to stick to what’s familiar. Embracing a new technology can cause my stress levels to rise, but I’m determined to learn and adapt in our rapidly evolving digital world.

When it comes to staying organized and productive, I rely on a trio of digital champions to keep me in check. Google calendar in my go-to for scheduling because it’s user-friendly, which gives me the flexibility to view my agenda by day, week, or month. Emails never stops to amaze me with their efficiency in connecting me with others, along with handy features like email customization and the ability to undo a sent message within a window of time. And let’s not forget about smartphone reminders, which have become my sidekick in combating ‘mom brain’ fog and aiding in efficient scheduling. Thanks to these digital companions, I navigate the chaos of life with a newfound sense of comfort and organization. I am curious to know what are your trusted digital allies that help you with deal with the daily grind.

Clock and calendar meeting schedule marking color note target date appointing reminder appointment calendar for organizer agenda time table and event planner organize and schedule activity.
Image by Sarah Webb from Green Industry Pros

Dealing with the daily hustle, my tech allies include Google Calendar for scheduling, email communications, and smartphone reminders for memory aid. But one tech distraction I face daily is the constant temptation of my phone, with notifications and social media waving non-stop. To maintain a healthier relationship with technology I have earned the chance to disconnect by turning my phone off at night and keeping it away during work hours. By minimizing digital distractions, I can focus on more meaningful activities. Spotify keep me sane with its music playlist, but I’ve learned to set a playlist and stick to it to avoid getting sidetracked. As for Facebook, I limit my usage to once a week or every two weeks during the academic term, These strategies help me stay on track and prevent tech-related distractions from hindering my progress.

Here is a great online resource that discusses important points on How to Develop a Healthier Relationship with Technology.

Balancing screen time for academic purposes and personal well-being is pretty manageable for me. I truly believe that my limited use of social media help reduce distractions. Which means I can stick with my planned tasks outside school hours and follow my daily schedule. I value the importance of allotting equal amounts of time for my family, work, and school, even if at time I wish more hours in a day. Prioritizing specific tasks and being intentional about them is essential in finding that balance amid these digital distractions! Technology is a wonderful gift to the human race. Let make use of it responsibly and intentionally!