Learning Circles

LEARNING CIRCLE #1 (JANUARY 17TH) – We had a slow first circle group as some of us did not have the textbook yet or had just got it. We talked about how important descriptive feedback is so that students can look back to it and review how they did, what the teacher liked and how the student can improve for next time. We also talked a lot about how making the classroom a safe and happy space for everyone, ensuring that students know that it is ok to make mistakes and that is how we learn. And it is even ok for students to question some things. I believe that is why it is important to have a lesson plan and the outcomes and indicators stated before class. As teachers we should let students take their time to understand concepts and they will understand better if they think through it on their own for a little bit. It is very important for students to take their time in doing things and trying to figure it out for themselves even if it is for the first time.

LEARNING CIRCLE #2 (JANUARY 24TH) – We talked a lot about setting expectations and guideline for students to make them more engaged. We also believe that giving students samples will make them less anxious because when they don’t know what is expected of them they are unsure what they are supposed to be doing. Not only sharing to the students but also sharing with the parents. It is crucial to share with parents to they know how their students are doing and also why their children are doing what they are doing. Teachers should communicate clearly and make sure they understand what is being said. We also need to be explicit about what needs to be learned throughout the classes. The more that teachers limit the form of evidence and proof of learning, it will take away from students to show what they know. I think that showing more samples of work that has been done in previous years (without names) will help your present students more. It also might be helpful to show students a piece of work that was meeting expectations and one that was succeeding expectations. In chapter 4 we talked a lot about using positive language when talking with students, patterns and when assessing students. My entire group agreed that we do not like to use the work “fail.” We also fully agree that all students don’t start at the same level, don’t grow at the same pace, and don’t end at the same point. So it is crucial for teachers to take assessment seriously and alter assignments for all students to succeed.

LEARNING CIRLCE #3 (JANUARY 31ST) – This week we had a lot of conversation about giving feedback to the students. We think that observing learning more than not is also going to help our teaching strategies in ways such as knowing what your students are capable of and how to push them in ways for them to succeed. This is ideal because students learn in different ways and at different times, and by getting enough evidence I am able to identify patterns and trends in my students learning, making sure that they are all on track to succeed. Furthermore this builds reliability in my lessons and feedback in assessments. Something else that we talked about was involving students in setting the criteria for rubrics. By doing so we as teachers learn more about what they know about the topic at hand. This also allows students to have feelings of ownership and have a say in how they are getting marked for the class. When teachers improvise the criteria no matter how clear it is, it is not as effective as when students help set the criteria in their own words. Another thing that we found interesting in the chapters and want to include in our own classrooms and internships is allowing self assessments for the students. Self assessments provide time for students to process and learn. Although self assessments are a good idea they can also be done orally as some students may not be able to share as much in their writing as they can orally.

LEARNING CIRCLE #4 (February 7TH) – This week we were missing a lot of people in our group so our conversation did not go as deep as we usually do. I think that I would have gathered a lot more from these two chapters if I were in my first or second year. At this point in my degree, I feel like some of of this content in the chapters was common knowledge now, such as telling students why they are learning things. I really like the concept of this so not only do students know why they are learning different topics, but as well as their parents or guardians. In elementary school as well as high school I was often asked by my parents what I learned at school, and I never had an answer for them. I also feel that students would be more inclined to learn as well as more excited when they know exactly what they are learning as well as why they are learning it and not just “because it is in the curriculum.” In our group we also talked students assessing other students work. Although this can be good for the older grades, I think that this is not the best idea for younger ones, as students might just want to assess their friends so they can give them good marks, or when placed with other students in the class they might have a disagreement about bad marks on their work. During my pre-internship we did this in a grade 7/8 classroom, and they weren’t quite mature enough to fairly grade each other. It ended in lots of arguments and students making fun of each other for the answers they put down, so I think that teachers thinking of doing this it would be best to make sure your students are ready to complete this activity. We also talked a lot about knowing how successful we are as a teacher by the students work and marks. Knowing we have succeeded as a teacher is when we see the evidence through the students. And we need to be aware of students behaviours for assessment and what they respond well to.

LEARNING CIRCLE #5 (February 14th) – This week I missed class as I was out of the country, but after talking with my peers, this is what I gathered. In chapter 9 my group talked about the two pars to successful communication about learning, which is students collecting and demonstrating learning and audiences respond with feedback. I think it is very good for students to give other students feedback, although I think verbal feedback is the best option. When students give verbal feedback they actively engage with the material and concepts that are at hand, as well teaches students how to give and receive constructive criticism which is an important skill that can benefit them both academically and professionally in the future. My group also talked about goal setting, which I think is crucial for any age of students. Setting goals encourages student to step out of their comfort zones and strive for constant improvement in school. This can also lead to improved concentration and productivity as the students work towards their goals. In chapter 1o my group talked about how it is important as a teacher to figure out the process of evaluation and reporting that will best fit the students in your classroom as well as the parents. I think that every year it will be a different process depending on the students and grade, as well as different school policies. For example my coop teacher right now uses emails to communicate with students but I know that other teachers use class dojo, and other teachers send letters home with the students.