To Buffet, or Not to Buffet?

This week has been hard trying to get back into the creative swing of things. For anyone in the classroom, you know it’s a busy time of the year trying to get ready for report cards, and in general, it just seems like teachers are feeling more burnt out than usual–I’d definitely say this is true for myself.

So, while this post isn’t super creative in how I will show you my learning, hopefully, you can take something away from it.

Recently, I’ve been seeing a lot of ads for Sketchup on my social media, and it looked like an exciting design tool, so I thought I’d check it out. Holy cow, it is probably the most frustrating program I have ever tried to use. I would have made a video of me trying to use it, but after an hour, I had literally done nothing. Sketchup is a 3D design software program, and there is a version that is free for educators to use. I was using the online version, where this video seems to show that there is maybe a downloadable version. Regardless, after an hour, I was left with nothing even remotely close to this. Perhaps you will have better luck. If you can get this program to work for you, there are lots of tutorials on the website itself, linked here.

I was trying to use this program to see how big I wanted a buffet or shelf to be underneath my galley wall. Since it didn’t work, I just started looking at dining rooms on Pinterest and scrolling through Wayfair. I really love the look of a traditional buffet, but I was unsure if it would make our small dining room look too full.

an art deco designer sideboard made out of fine wood - generative ai

Absolutely love the look of this, but there is already so much wood in our house that I was afraid it would be too much.

Instead, I opted for an open shelf where we can display some of the trinkets and art that we’ve purchased on our travels. I bought it from Wayfair, and I really like it. I think the struggle now will be to tastefully decorate it and not let it fill up with junk.

I’m mostly pumped that it’s so close to the Christmas season, and I can soon start to fill this bad boy up with many, many new decorations.

Are there any other Christmas fanatics out there?

5 thoughts on “To Buffet, or Not to Buffet?

1. Hey, enjoyed reading this! I am definitely with you in terms of feeling burnt-out, and while I am not a super Christmas fanatic by any means, knowing it is right around the corner is still enough to keep me motivated, lol. The new decor looks pretty slick! Lots of room for Christmas decor in there. Thanks for sharing!

2. Things are looking great so far. Having an open shelf like that leaves lot of options for display and will hold a lot of Christmas decorations very nicely! I love Christmas as well and can’t wait to bring out all my boxes to decorate. Christmas decorations just make the house feel special.

3. Love the design here, and I agree, I’m super exited for Christmas. I personally can’t wait to break out all my decorates for the season!

4. One way to ensure your room doesn’t look to crowded is by doing bench seating on one side. Sure it doesn’t have a back, which may be a problem for older individuals, but it also allows for more seating than chairs. And I am always ready for the Christmas season! I make myself wait until December 1 to decorate though lol.

5. I’m always afraid to order from Wayfair. I remember my mom ordered a new table and it was pretty expensive and when it got here it was ruined. The wood was chipped and had so many scratches. Let me know if you have a better experience! I can’t wait to see the area with all the Christmas decor! I also think since it’s the end of the semester everyone is becoming burnt out. Keep pushing you got it!! But I absolutely love what you have done so far!