Using AI to Design My Dining Room

After struggling a couple of weeks ago to use Sketchup and wanting to use technology to ‘see’ what my dining room could look like, I decided that this week I wanted to see what was out there for free AI programs.

The first thing I did was use Google to search for “AI generator for interior design.” The first website I clicked on was Apartment Therapy, which recommended these programs:

I tried out RoomsGPT first and created a free account. I chose a picture of my dining room, chose ‘modern’ for style, and this is how it turned out:

loading slideshow...

• Photo used for RoomsGPT generator

• A 'modern' style version of my dining room.

Not exactly a success. I tried to create other styles with the same photo, but I continually got an error code saying it could not generate anything. I’m unsure if this was a glitch in the website or something to do with my internet. Regardless, this wasn’t exactly what I had in mind–although it’s a neat thing to play with if it works.

Next up, I tried Microsoft Bing Image Creator. This was definitely a letdown. The program runs on ‘credits,’ so you can’t go crazy with what you try. It also relies on your description of a room to generate a photo, and I believe it failed miserably. I provided the program with the following description, “dining room with 8×8 carpet and a dark grey accent wall in a modern farmhouse style,” and here is what it created:

Again, I wouldn’t say that this image was a success. It is also hard to replicate specific features of my dining room. I’m sure I could hone this image some more if I had unlimited credits, but it was more work than I had anticipated.

This is where I stopped. Creating free accounts that then bombard my email with junk isn’t all that appealing. Out of the two programs that I tried, I would say RoomsGPT was more successful, but still not something I would try again.

Have you tried any of the other programs I mentioned? Or one that wasn’t listed here?