Goodbye Dining Room

If you’ve followed along from the beginning, you’ll know I tackled redesigning my ugly brown dining room for my learning project. Here’s how it started:

Post 1: He Can’t Say No, Right?

I started by showing you a couple of the projects I had already started in my home and shared my Pinterest Board for home decorating ideas.

Post 2: Anything But Brown

This week I was trying to decide paint colours and used the following resources:

• A blog about choosing paint colours that go with honey oak
  • I accessed the Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams websites and perused paint colours
  • I listened to a podcast on how to choose the right paint colours for your home
  • And I also figured out how to create a poll on my blog

Post 3: Let There Be Light

This week I set up a free educators account on Canva in order to create a video. I learned how to save my video from Canva and then upload it to Youtube in order to share on my blog. I needed to watch this video to figure out how to limit my embarrassment so that only people in this class could watch my video.

I then discussed how Canva could be used following the SAMR model.

Post 4: I Did The Dang Thing, Now What?

This week I learned how to add giphs to my blog 🙂

I accessed the following resources:

Post 5: Ordering From Wayfair: Hit Or Miss?

This week I was figuring out all the details on area rugs.

Post 6: Reality TV Counts As Learning

This week I learned a lot from a TV platform called Tubi where I accessed one of my favourite home design shows called The Block.

I compared this series to some others that I found on Netflix, including Dream Home Makeover and Interior Design Masters.

Post 7: To Buffet, or Not to Buffet?

This week I epically failed at using SketchUp to create a design for my dining room. I resorted back to my failsafes of Pinterest and Wayfair to find inspiration. I also learned how to insert stock images into my blog this week.

Post 8: Using AI to Design My Dining Room

Had some more funny failures this week using AI.

The first thing I did was use Google to search for “AI generator for interior design.” The first website I clicked on was Apartment Therapy, which recommended these programs:

None of these gave me the results I was looking for, and I now get lots of extra junk mail…

Post 9: Add Light, Then Take It Away

I played around a bit more with the formatting on my blog and figured out how to have a picture and text side by side. I had some fun with giphs in this post which I think added a lot of interest. I used some references from Pinterest and showed the purchases I made from Amazon.

And this brings us to the end…

All I really have left to do with this space is tidy up and add Christmas decorations!

I learned about interior design through this project and gained more insight into how I like to learn digitally. For this particular project, I enjoyed more visual resources, like videos, compared to podcasts. Although, I realized that not all videos are created equally. I enjoyed blogging about my progress and finding ways within my blog to add interest and engagement, like using pictures, polls, gifs, videos, links, etc.

I wasn’t exactly sold with the idea of blogging as a way to show my learning, but after finishing this class I think this is actually something I would use with my students.

Thanks, EDTC 300; it’s been a slice!