ECS 203: February 10, 2023

ECS 203: February 10, 2023

My understanding of citizenship is that it is what defines your nationality, but I believe that it does much more than that. Committing to become a citizen of a nation carries weight, there are certain responsibilities which are required by citizens. In certain countries if you are a citizen then you must serve in the military to protect that nation. There are other positive reasons to become a citizen of a country because it allows the government to control who is able to vote. Non-citizens are usually unable to vote even though the policies being created by elected officials do directly affect them. I think that there are many links between treaty education and understanding citizenship, many Indigenous peoples were not considered to be citizens until the 1900s. However, they were many policies which were created elected officials which directly affected the Indigenous population in Canada and yet there was literally zero power put into Indigenous peoples to make change for their own communities. An understanding of how and why Indigenous peoples were not set up to succeed in Canadian society is extremely important. There is certainly a lot of misinformation which can be easily determined as false about Indigenous peoples in Canada, and we can use treaty education as an avenue to stop stereotypes from being perpetuated by the public. Although my understanding of citizenship is that it comes with rights to vote for whom best suits your personal interests it is important to note that not all people are afforded an opportunity to vote. Citizenship is not a grantee for many people that they will have the same opportunities as white people (think limited access to polls, only one candidate for an area, etc.).

One thought on “ECS 203: February 10, 2023

1. I think it is a great point to mention that even those with citizenship do not have equal rights, and I think many people in the Prairies can attest to feeling like they cannot make a difference in their voting. I wonder if you were to make amendments to voting laws what would they be? Would you lower the age? Would you grant this without citizenship the right to vote?