Browsed by
Month: March 2023

ECS 203: March 31, 2023

ECS 203: March 31, 2023

Part 1) When I think about how I was taught math at first I was not considering the many rigid rules, or the ways instances where there was only one accepted way to calculate things. I was focused on how well it worked for me, all of it made sense, I was only learning one way that happened to resonate with me. I had not considered that there were others in my classes who likely struggled with showing their work,…

Read More Read More

ECS 203: March 24, 2023

ECS 203: March 24, 2023

Multilingual was a term that I had never heard for students who are learning an additional language, as someone who took schooling in french when that was not spoken at home it was difficult for me to remember all of the language rules. I was with all my peers who were in similar if not the same situations, so we would all communicate between ourselves in English, and so I have never experienced learning a new language where no one…

Read More Read More

ECS 203: March 17, 2023

ECS 203: March 17, 2023

As people who are a part of the system which is at its core intrinsically oppressive towards queer and trans people we must intentionally make our classes more inclusive spaces. Including language which is able to incorporate all peoples represented in our classrooms and outside of the classroom as well. Allowing students to feel comfortable asking questions about sexuality and gender identities in a safe space is an important part of breaking down barriers for trans and queer students and…

Read More Read More

ECS 203: March 10, 2023

ECS 203: March 10, 2023

The purpose of teaching Treaty Education in the classroom is to conquer the stereotypes and attitudes towards the subjects discussed in the email. Where there are few Indigenous peoples in a classroom or community it is especially important to include Treaty education in the classroom because there is often a barrier which blocks knowledge from unfamiliar areas. If teachers do not teach all perspectives of Indigenous peoples in Canada then there is more room for students to make assumptions based…

Read More Read More

ECS 203: March 3, 2023

ECS 203: March 3, 2023

Culturally relevant pedagogy is something which will be different for each grade and subject. I will hopefully be teaching chemistry or physics and so I would likely include more Indigenous ways of knowing into the course content. Many science teachers reject Indigenous ways of knowing, yet I have found that it is culturally relevant and should be a mandatory portion of the course content. I want all students to enter into my classroom and feel like they can learn about…

Read More Read More