Cyber shaming: Is it warranted??

Cyber shaming: Is it warranted??

Cyber shaming is  a complex topic, because I do think that at times it is necessary to create change, but I also think that it is often taken too far. The extent that people will go to attack someone else online is far, and with the anonymity of the internet they do not face consequences. Now, I realize that every single person makes mistakes, however people must realize that what they put on the internet IS FOREVER, it will be there for everyone to potentially see. Why risk so much for a post?? Its also important to consider that our actions can be easily seen by others and posted online without our knowledge. I think of the Starbucks manager who wouldn’t let the black people use the washroom. It was quite a scene and someone took a video and posted it online. The company and that manager lost a lot that day.

Personally, I do not have a strong online presence, I don’t post or comment on posts that other people make. If I were ever to post in a cyber shaming way I would want to say only things that I would say in person. I think that rule of thumb is to not make death-threats, or threaten the physical well-being of others or their loved ones. Ever. I think that the permanence of the internet isn’t truly taken seriously by a lot of people, which is a shame. Anyways this topic has given me a lot to think about in terms of how I direct my energy online.

At the end of the day I think that some people deserve to face the natural consequences for their actions.

2 thoughts on “Cyber shaming: Is it warranted??

1. Hi Sarah I enjoyed the read. You bring a balanced perspective to the topic of cyber shaming.
    Acknowledging the potential for creating change while also recognizing the dangers of taking it too far is crucial. This duality highlights the complexity of the issue. Which I thought was impressive by you in this post.

2. Hey Sarah! I have really been enjoying reading your blogs! I totally agree that sometimes we need to call people out for the things they say online, but other times people take it way too far! I agree with your rule of thumb as well! Don’t threaten the well-being of others! The other rule of thumb I use is don’t say something you wouldn’t say in person or something you wouldn’t want your grandparents to hear you say. This has always helped me and as a result, I usually don’t even comment on posts that could be sensitive or tricky because it could put me in a bad situation.