ECS 203 January 13, 2023

ECS 203 January 13, 2023

As I read through the document some quotes taken from Tyler were concerning, “Since the real purpose of education is not to have the instructor perform certain activities but to bring about significant changes in the students’ pattern of behaviour, it becomes important to recognize that any statements of objectives of the school should be a statement of changes to take place in the students.” (Tyler 1949: 44), it was that part about changing the student which made me want to take a long hard look at what I may have been exposed to as a child.  I can remember being taught by my teachers to not talk so much and to be quiet, I think that this made me less creative and scared to talk unless I know that the person I am speaking to will agree or think that it was worth it to listen to me. To me it seems like I was forced to change who I was to fit the mold that my teachers wanted or else I would not succeed. I know that I learn best through collaboration and discussions but I was not often afforded that luxury of being able to speak with my peers in class or ask questions. The Tyler rationale is a systemic approach to increase the efficiency of the education system it is not necessarily meant to enhance the experience for those who learn or those who teach.

The Tyler rationale makes it impossible for teachers to tailor lessons to individual needs which students may have, because that is not efficient. It makes it very difficult for students to experience new ways of learning, or to be able to learn how they want about what they want. Tyler had a scientific curriculum approach which means that the outcome of life is based how well each person does specific activities which can be learned in the curriculum design modeled by Tyler. The education was and still is about the product, the students who come out of schooling as socialized and knowledgeable are considered to be a success of the school system and its design (Smith 2000). However, this approach diminishes students down to being rule followers and workers, compliance is rewarded because it allows the system to run smoothly, there may be a lack of critical thinking in this population (the “good” products).

The Tyler rationale does make it easier to teach students about societal norms, manners and how to act and react in social settings. It can accomplish clear expectations and organization within a particular course and eliminate unnecessary distractions or ideas in a course. The hidden curriculum which we discussed in the lecture can be easily included and modeled in this perspective of curriculum. Being taught things like math which are often difficult is mandatory because it builds necessary skills from problem solving to counting money and even how to read an analogue clock. These rigid objectives allow all students no matter the school to be able to learn the same materials, less exclusive.

One thought on “ECS 203 January 13, 2023

1. Hey Sarah
    I agree that the Tyler rational is difficult for students to experience new ways of learning, or to be able to learn how they want about what they want. I believed the Tyler rational method is not good for education systems because every student learn differently.