ECS 203: March 3, 2023

ECS 203: March 3, 2023

Culturally relevant pedagogy is something which will be different for each grade and subject. I will hopefully be teaching chemistry or physics and so I would likely include more Indigenous ways of knowing into the course content. Many science teachers reject Indigenous ways of knowing, yet I have found that it is culturally relevant and should be a mandatory portion of the course content. I want all students to enter into my classroom and feel like they can learn about science in a non-judgmental way. I know that all people can learn what they want if they are given resources to succeed. Any classroom which uses culturally relevant pedagogy should feel like a place where mistakes are part of the journey to success not the defining factor of success. It should sound like fun times and collaboration with peers. I want my class to teach students how to think critically about their environment and show each student their full potential.

The sense of place that a student has in the classroom can be enhanced by teaching relevant content. This is obviously subjective and will differ from each student and each class, however relating course content to student’s lives is crucial. I would like to create real life links with course content to help students. I would also like to show real life concepts out in the world and allow students to recognize their built environment.