AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL ESSAY

We were supposed to introduce ourselves in greater detail by writing an autobiographical essay.

My passion, relationships, and self-identification have helped me grow into the person I am today, with my personal teaching identity in different situations. The lifestyle I have has opened many opportunities to grow and develop into reaching my own individuality, and it being one that I am comfortable with. Teaching to me has always been the occupation I chose when someone asked me what I wanted to be when I am older. Even from a young age, I knew teaching was my go-to career option. My teaching identity is based on seeing and wanting to help the family, even when I could not due to mental disabilities, teaching swimming lessons for four years, as well as my being community-minded.

My family has helped lead me to the career path of education through watching my family struggle through school with teachers that lacked the knowledge of how to help them. I hope to enhance my personal knowledge on how to help those students who struggle and do not have the necessary help to make their education better for both them as well as myself.

I am currently working in the summer-times as a lifeguard/ swimming instructor for four years. I teach kids at an extremely young age to swim and get used to being in the water. As for me, it is an important technique that I believe everybody should have. That goes for education outside of the pool as well. The students I teach on a daily basis in the summer gave me my own teaching identity quickly, it demonstrated how to adapt your plan within only a few seconds, as well as knowing the capabilities these kids have both mentally and physically. Being able to create connections with kids also helped me understand who they are, what they expect as well as if they believe they have the ability to do the work. To me, the main thing a teacher can do for a student is showing them that they are capable of what you are asking of them, even if it takes a couple of tries or demonstrations to get them through it. Making these connections with the students also provides me with not having just a teaching relationship with the kids, but also a friendship with them too.

I also volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Regina and have done so for two years. Each year I have been introduced to uniquely different kids. Not only from different cultures, but also from different beliefs, religions, and genders. The kids I meet through this company helps with the teaching identity because it expands my knowledge on different people’s lives, which I can then take to use as references, or even if I have a student of that culture or religion I will understand what they need from me in order to maintain their way of life. Certain cultures eat specific foods, have specific beliefs, as well as specific vocabulary if they are new to the school, or country.

I also volunteer for my community, for festivals, kids’ activities through town, and even small events. Every kid is unique, which gives teachers such an interesting lifestyle, as they have to attempt to reach the kids’ capabilities with many different topics. Volunteering has helped me understand how to get there quickly by finding a common interest and following that route.

My family, my current job, as well as all my volunteer work, has helped guide me into education. These things have influenced my teaching identity in miraculous ways. Trying to help my family has always been difficult for me as I was usually of no help. My teaching in the pool has helped me understand the capabilities of the students I work with, and keep those relationships as they go through each level. And my volunteer work has helped introduce me to new cultures, and religions further expanding my knowledge on how to incorporate their cultures, and religions into a teachers’ plan.

This is a future teacher in the process.