ECS 203 The Problem of Commonsense

January 6, 2023 0 By Shae-Lynn Baier

Kumashiro defines “commonsense” to be “limits what is considered to be consistent with the purposes of schooling. Alternative perspectives , including perspectives that challenge common sense, are already irrelevant, inconsequential, or inappropriate”. He further states how commonsense represents how this is the only thing schools should be doing, which is why people feel social pressure to conform. Overall, Kumashiro had to experience what it felt like to experience a different view of what commonsense looked like in Nepal. He quickly learned that the way of teaching was much different than the American curriculum because students would call Kumashiro out for doing things the wrong way. Commonsense looks a little bit different in other places, which is why it can be important for teachers to adapt accordingly so each student succeeds while still maintaining the understanding of how “commonsense does not often tell us that the status quo is quite oppressive”.

It’s important to pay attention to commonsense, especially when it corresponds to the curriculum because ultimately it’s the way students learn. Understanding the role oppression has on commonsense is crucial because although the norm of schooling and teaching may prioritize and benefit some groups of people, others based on race, gender, religion, disabilities, etc become marginalized. The sad truth about oppression, is it has successfully played a role on our society that is unrecognizable within the school systems because they have convinced people that schools are neutral.

My ‘commonsense’ understanding of curriculum and pedagogy that I bring into this course is the way I interpret the curriculum that don’t oppress or marginalize any students. What I mean by that, is I believe as a future teacher having a specific routine and understanding the importance of what I’m teaching is critical. I say this because without routine becomes chaos, especially in a classroom full of young children. My method of teaching will always come from a heart that puts my students first and to meet their needs in order for them to grow. By maintaining a safe space for all students, I will make it clear how every single student in my space is safe, and affirmed equally and I’m a person they can all come to for advice, care, and support.