Curriculum Theory and Practice

January 13, 2023 0 By Shae-Lynn Baier

The way I’ve personally experienced Tyler’s rational throughout my own schooling journey is through the basic “teach the curriculum and evaluate by taking a test or quiz” method. Some limitations that I believe is said to be true, is the fact that they stated how students tend to have little to no voice when it comes down to the curriculum. I think although yes, it’s ultimately the teacher’s job to organize and prioritize what is needed to be taught in classrooms, when students don’t have a voice in terms of what they’re being taught can limit their eagerness to learn. Having said that, although teachers don’t necessarily have a voice either when it comes down to the curriculum, they’re position to adapt the curriculum to meet students needs and eagerness is important to think about. In fact, there’s been many times throughout my own school journey where I’ve been taught things I’m simply just not interested in, and that gets reflected through the work I hand in. Furthermore, many things’ students are taught throughout their life may be important to some extent but for the majority, what’s being taught doesn’t execute what students will be doing in their everyday lives fully. The one benefit to Tyler’s approach I think is the fact that it’s easy to structure, and can be an easier guideline to set up certain outcomes or lessons by following the description of “curriculum as a process”.