Focus Question Responses

Teachers, Knowledge, Building Relationships: Invitation and Hospitality

Throughout my education experience teachers would accommodate different resources for students in need. For example, if someone had trouble reading, teachers would give them an individual computer to help their learning and understanding by using audio. Audio was always an exquisite way to help students by enabling them to hear someone speak out loud about a certain story or a specific word. This would allow them to comprehend and participate in discussions without feeling ashamed. To help bring hospitality and a sense of community into the classroom teachers could get to know students individually on a deeper level. This would eliminate stereotypes such as assuming a student’s background or culture that may not be correct. Although many of my teachers got to know me on a personal level, I noticed how not all teachers would do the same for others. Instead, I would find them treating others differently than they would treat myself by assuming things such as why a student was acting a certain way, when they didn’t even know the real reason why. Were they having a bad day? Were they raised in an unfortunate environment making them act a way that might seem normal to them? These are things I believe teachers could ask instead of straight up yelling or arguing with them- making their situation or day worse. By asking questions could bring a sense of belonging to those acting a certain way. This could make them feel like someone cares about them and is willing to listen, and in return you can teach them about how their behaviour isn’t mature; helping them grow individually in a calmly manner. I specifically remember my grade three classroom as I refer to the type of classroom I want to create when I become a teacher. My teacher had the biggest heart for all students eliminating all discrimination in the classroom and made everyone feel so welcome. The classroom was so well put together making school enjoyable for both myself and all my classmates. She truly showed what an incredible teacher looked like which has impacted my life and the way I want to teach future students.

Students & Learning Environment: Focus on places, spaces, and boundaries

While experiencing the difference between having an incredible teacher compared to a teacher who was never professional helped me tremendously understand what a learning environment should look like and how it can affect students learning. For the most part I never had an issue with my teachers through pre-school, all the way through high school. However, a teacher at my high school created an environment that made myself, along with other classmates not even want to attend their class. This teacher made me go home crying more than once because of how awful she would make me feel. She would call her students names that were not appropriate for a teacher to be saying that made me doubt myself in that specific subject area. Although I’ve come to realize that it was the environment, I was in that made me struggle so much. I feel like you don’t hear stories like this anymore. However, people need to understand that there are teachers still out there that treat students terribly, and that’s why I personally (and hopefully alongside other future teachers) will help make a positive impact on future generations. Although this teacher contradicts the way all my other teachers created a safe and welcoming environment, it has taught me that making boundaries between teachers and students is important. Setting your beliefs and ground first is the most important thing you can do. Once you know your worth, you will eliminate many negative situations in your life. In fact, you’ll be able to respect others’ beliefs as much as your own even if they don’t align. Another thing I believe is important is allowing students to engage in discussion. The reason for this is because while people grow up, they will have to deal with all sorts of people where communication will become key within their everyday lives. Being able to discuss about a certain topic or issue will benefit every single person in a workplace considering not many people are self employed. Overall, creating a welcoming learning space for students will benefit their own education considering I’m someone who dealt with different types of teachers, effecting my learning in either a positive or negative way.

Truth & Reconciliation

Throughout my education journey especially kindergarten to grade eight was where I learnt very little, in fact not any information at all about the indigenous culture. Looking back now, I wish I was taught briefly throughout my elementary experience about the indigenous culture. I would have had a better understanding on the different cultures the kids around me had and I feel like that would have been very impactful and important for not only myself, but for others to make them feel appreciated while growing up. However, my knowledge expanded on the indigenous culture as soon as I stepped into my high school. While attending high school, through grade nine all the way through grade twelve is when I learnt most about their culture and gained respect for their culture as well. I learnt about residential schools and how devasting and traumatizing it was, and still is on those who were forced to stay there. This has left an enormous impact on indigenous families, along with others across the world. I also was taught their way of living. The importance of nature and herbs all symbolizes a special meaning within their culture. This is their way to help heal and create clothes out of living things around them. While reading the booklet provided, I mostly resonated with the teacher reflections that they wrote. I say this because I have never gone through the trauma and pain like those who attended residential did. As well, seeing videos and reading articles of residential schools makes me understand how horrid that must have been. Most importantly, it makes me reflect on my life and my family as a reminder of how privileged I really am. To finish off, something I feel like I need to learn more about is ways to help end issues that tear down the indigenous culture. Being able to learn more about the indigenous culture and their issues could help me get a better understanding of their everyday lives rather than hearing the most important events on the news, which I’m grateful to gather information on as well.