ECS 100 Autobiography Reflective Paper

Growing up, I did not know that I wanted to be a teacher until I was older, but looking back on my life, there are key experiences that I believe brought me to this decision and have impacted the type of teacher I want to become. In elementary school I had a teacher, Mrs. Flynn, who was always there with open arms to help with any issues we had, whether it deal with schoolwork or personal issues. Mrs. Flynn had a classroom that was welcoming to all students no matter of their abilities. In my class, we had a girl with cerebral palsy and Mrs. Flynn had everyone learn basic sign language so that we could communicate with her. Through this and having her in my class, I was taught how important it is to include everyone in the classroom and how important equal education is. I hope to be a teacher that encourages and embraces the differences of the children as well as teach them how to work with students of different abilities.

Right after high school, I went to Medicine Hat College for the Education program. While living in Medicine Hat, I volunteered with one of my professors at an after-school program for students with disabilities. My professor would have a physical activity planned for the students and since some of the students could not perform all the skills, we would come up with a modified version for them. The other program I volunteered with, was an adapted curling group. This was a program for the older generation to get some exercise and socialize. We would use delivery sticks so they would not have to get on their knees in the hack, me and my professor would then sweep their rocks for them. Both programs were very important to me and I am glad I had the opportunity to take part in them. Through these I learned the importance of physical education, in not only children but also with the older generations. Through these programs I also learned the importance of social interaction. Not only were they taking part in physical activities, but they were interacting with other people of the same or similar abilities as themselves. These programs taught me and made me strongly believe that there is always a way to modify what is being physical activities so everyone can participate.

As a teacher I hope to have a classroom that is welcoming of all abilities. I want not only myself, but also my students to be accepting of people’s differences and to include everyone. To me education is about equal opportunities no matter of your abilities and everyone should feel comfortable in their own skin. Students with disabilities should not be excluded, but the students should be taught how to interact with them. I believe having a classroom that feels safe and comfortable will encourage students to be the best version of themselves and take pride in their accomplishments.