Preparing Teachers for a Crisis a Sample Lesson.

In the article “Preparing Teachers for Crisis a Sample Lesson” by Kumashiro it talks about different types of students, learning styles and learning standards. He examines teachers and argues that when teaching we should be considerate of anti-oppressive education and working through student crisis. This article was very eye opening and got me thinking about certain ideas that I have never considered before. 

Growing up in elementary school you could always tell who the “good” and who the “bad” students were. Personally, I always thought of myself as a good student, even though I did not always get straight A’s and tended to get distracted in class from time to time. My “common-sense” version of a good student is someone who is engaged respectful and try’s there best when it comes to schoolwork even if it is not perfect. Generally, a good student according to “common-sense” is someone who does what there told to do without question and conforms to their teacher. People who benefit to this type of style are students who really don’t have much to worry about outside of school students who come from good homes. I think Opinions vary from teacher to teacher about this topic and I know that there are teachers out there who want their “good” students to sit down shut up and get their work done without question. I have had teachers like this and still do in my university classes. I also have classes where my teachers want us to question them and come up with our own inquiries and questions, something that I struggled with at the beginning because I grew up getting told what to do and doing it. teachers need to consider that not every student can give 100%, 100% of the time. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, as a teacher we should be recognizing the weaknesses and trying to help them and play to their strengths.