Educational Technology – Conundrum

Educational Technology – Conundrum

Educational technology is an ever evolving tool which has been introduced as an innovative way to improve education for centuries. My understanding and experience with educational technology has largely changed over the past five years with the increased use of Google Classroom and Chromebooks. During my school experience, and the first half of my career, technology was clunky, largely unavailable, and Microsoft/Windows based. A group of 25-30 computers were available for the entire rural school and teachers took turns booking the computer lab. Further, projectors and tvs with connections to computers have replaced the tv carts, which too, were available in a similar manner to a computer lab. I am nostalgic thinking of the excitement of seeing the tv cart being rolled into the classroom as a youngster. That’s a thrill only those born in the 80s and 90s recall. 

Over the past five years, Rouleau School has been 1:1 with each student having access to a Chromebook in the Grade 3-12 class and iPads in the Kindergarten to Grade 2 class. This has been a dramatic shift in our 7-12 classrooms as teachers organize and deliver all content through Google Classroom. While convenient, it has had some unexpected results. Students attendance has decreased as material is available on the Google classroom and it has become a crutch for the urgency to attend class. Again, mixed feelings as those who are away for excused absences are able to work on their material while away. Further, we have struggled with students accessing Artificial Intelligence sites like ChapGPT to complete their work for them. Although it’s great that they have learned to use these tools, we have noticed some academic misconduct through their use. After these five years, my thoughts on the effectiveness of  academic technology ebb and flow daily. 

Based on my experience as a teacher, administrator, and now parent, my understanding of educational technology has evolved. Through Neil Postman’s (1998) writing on five ideas about technological change, I surmise a contemporary definition of education technology is something that is added to classrooms and adapted to, not adapted for. Each of these educational technologies, from the time of written language to the widespread use of Microsoft Teams, Google Classroom, and personal devices has completely reshaped how students are taught and show evidence of their learning. In many ways, we have enhanced education by with technological changes likes robotics courses, computer science classes, and other hands-on technology for Practical and Applied Arts courses. In many ways though, we have stopped teaching simple computer skills (typing, document organization, spreadsheet skills), and simply moved courses online. Lastly, distance education through the Saskatchewan Distance Learning Centre has opened opportunities for many students to take courses they wouldn’t otherwise have, but has reduced the amount of time students spend face to face with a teacher and their peers. For every positive, there are drawbacks. 

Postman, N. (1998) Five Things We Need to Know about Technological Change.

3 thoughts on “Educational Technology – Conundrum

1. HI Mitch. I can say that I had many parallel experiences and thoughts that you have expressed in this post. Yes, technology has evolved very quickly in our classrooms and you are correct in your statements about absenteeism increasing. There have been trade-offs as we have developed these new technologies. Not only typing skills, but spelling, and the ability to use proper punctuation have been influenced as well. There are days where I wonder if it is all worth it. As for the DLC, they do offer a great variety of classes, but only students that have internal motivation do well and I think a majority do not.
    I am envious that your school has the resources to be 1-1 with Chromebooks and iPads.
    That is great. I look forward to more of your posts.

2. Hi Mitch, it’s really amazing to experience how technology has evolved from our time as students and now as parents. In contrast to the complaints I’ve always heard from some teachers and schools, I’m really amazed that Rouleau School has been 1:1 with each student having access to a Chromebook in the Grade 3-12 class and iPads in the Kindergarten to Grade 2 class. I think this shows how schools are beginning to encourage the use of technology in preparing today’s students for the present changing environment. I also agree with you despite the positives of technology, it also has its drawbacks. However, I feel we can try tap into the positive benefits to a greater extent.

3. Educational technology has evolved significantly, especially over the past two and a half decades of education that I have been in the education sector. I remember the days like you have mentioned that digital tools were not refined and did not work with other platforms easily. Good point you made about about Neil Postman’s work. There are always to sides to every coin.

Sure it is great that students have one on one access to technology. My question is do students really maximize the use of the technology.? How many times have students put something together over necessity over a short period of time because they can. Are they putting the necessary reflection into their work?

Convenient Content Delivery evolved due to the pandemic. Everything, really changed our way of thinking when it comes to delivery of content in education. I think it is good to learn these newer skills. the only caution I have are the teachers taking the time to make sure that content meets a certain standard.