My Journey to Learning ASL

September 22, 2023 0 By Stephanie Voss

For my learning project, I have chosen to begin learning American Sign Language. I have always had an interest in learning sign language as it is very unique from other languages. The fact that it is spoken with the hands instead of the voice has always piqued my interest. I saw a quote on Instagram the other day that said “Hearing people can learn sign language. Deaf people cannot learn to hear” – L Friedmann. This quote is so true! I am excited to begin learning this new language.

Woman showing abbreviation ASL on white background. Sign language concept

I have no prior knowledge of sign language. I don’t even know how to sign the alphabet, so this is where I am planning to start!

My plan is to begin by learning how to say the alphabet and numbers up to 10. I would then like to learn some of the words that are commonly used such as… 

• Yes                                                                              
  • No
  • Please
  • Thank you
  • Friend
  • Help
  • School
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Tomorrow 
  • Today
  • Love
  • Friendship

I would then like to learn how to put words together to create sentences, and finally would love to be able to sign along to a song (by Taylor Swift of course).

I have found a few sources that I will use to begin learning this new skill. I am sure I will find more along the way too!

Learn How to Sign – Youtube Channel

HandSpeak.com– Website

Feel free to comment with any tips or resources you may have on beginning to learn sign language!

-Steph

dynamic symbols of sign language