Ed Tech Experience

Photo by Kaelynn LePoudre

For those of you who don’t already know me, my name is Kaelynn LePoudre. I am in my third year of studies in the Bachelor’s of Early Elementary Education program. My passions include hiking, photography, and nature. I also enjoy bullet journaling as a form of self-reflection and a way to unwind after a long day. However, I do not particularly enjoy posting my personal thoughts online and thus am not the most eager blogger. However, I am willing to step outside of my comfort zone, even if it requires me pretending I am writing in a journal rather than online.

My educational technology experience primarily comes from the time I’ve spent as a student. There are some key experiences that stand out to me.

1. Computers

The earliest memory I have of technology being used in a classroom was a computer. This wasn’t just any computer, but the teacher’s computer, specifically which students were not to touch (at first). As more computers were made available throughout the school, the more students were allowed to access them.  This lead to us playing online on websites such as  Poptropica or Cool Math Games. As I advanced through the grades, I learned how to use websites such as Google Docs and Google Slides to work on and submit assignments either individually or with a group. We were taught how to use search engines, as well as the importance of using key search words and citing our sources.

2. Microphones

After computers became a commonplace, I remember being introduced to sound systems and headset microphones. One lesson I will always carry with me when using a microphone in general is to make sure that it is turned off every single time I finish using it. Although I am sure my teachers were taught how to use the device, I can recall a three times private discussions were accidentally broadcasted through the classroom  for all to hear.

3. Smart Boards

Around the same time the microphone headsets were introduced, so were Smart Boards. These quickly became a key feature in every classroom. We would sit down to watch a video, take notes, study course content through games such as jeopardy and much more.

Since becoming a university student, I have become extremely grateful for educational technologies. Throughout the duration of my program, the only classes I have taken have been online.  This has exposed me to new forms of technology such as Zoom and Discord. Due to this, I have learned to appreciate educational technology far more than I had throughout my K-12 learning experience.