Self-Sustaining Terrariums

Plants in a closed glass bottle. Terrarium jar ecosystem. Moisture condenses on the inside. Process of photosynthesis. Water vapor is created in the humid environment and absorbed back into the soil
Photo by Evelien on Adobe Stock

My learning project topic for EDTC300 is self-sustaining ecosystems. It is my goal that by the end of the semester I will have learnt enough information about the various aspects of these ecosystems to create my own self-sustaining terrarium.

Throughout this project, I will learn more about what a self-sustaining ecosystem is, the process of creating one as well as the plants that one can use.  I will further my understanding of plants overall by  broadening my research to include uses, benefits and identifying characteristics of the specific plants that can be involved in creating a self-sustains ecosystem.

Photo by Kaelynn LePoudre

Although I do not know much about the who’s, what’s, where’s, when’s, why’s or how’s of creating a self-sustaining terrarium, I do have some knowledge about different plants and how to care for them. I am hoping this background knowledge will provide some guidance as I work through this experience.

6 Replies to “Self-Sustaining Terrariums”

1. I’m super excited to follow your blog. I’ve been thinking about making a self-sustaining ecosystem myself but don’t know how. This would be the perfect thing to have in a classroom for the kids to watch it progress throughout the year!

1. Hey Meghan,

That’s where I was in the process before deciding to embark on this learning journey. I decided that the learning project would provide me with the perfect opportunity to learn and try the skill out. I love the idea of bringing it into the classroom as a project that students can engage in as you and Deanna mention! As I go through my process, I will have to pay attention to any curricular connections that can be made. I hope I can provide you with some ideas for class projects and how to go about making the terrarium as I learn how to myself.

2. This is great Kaelynn! It’s super ambitious and I hope it works out for you. I can’t wait to see the results.