TikTok Terrarium Teachings

This past week I have taken to TikTok to get a better sense of what I’m getting myself into as I embark on this learning project.

After scrolling through countless videos, I have been introduced to the different types of sealable containers one can use, the different styles of ecosystems (forest-based vs aqautic-based), as well as the materials one needs to start their self-sustaining terrarium. One can also choose to make a larger terrarium such as in a chest, or a much smaller terrarium which is often referred to as a tiny terrariumFurthermore, some individuals took the time to explain the science behind including certain materials or items within the ecosystem such as the respiratory process of plants or the benefits of charcoal. This ranged from insects to charcoal that both aid in keeping the aquarium clean.

green moss glasshouse hobby collectiono on forest
Photo by Yanukit on Adobe Stock

Being that there are various ways to approach this project, I am interested in creating a couple kinds of terrariums with different materials as well as in different container sizes. I am planning on making at least four terrariums: the first will be moss only, the second will include a mixture of plants, the third will be the same as the second but will include some critters to help out, and the fourth will be water-based. Additionally, I would like to try creating some terrariums of various sizes to see how the space of an environment effects the interaction between items inside it.

If you are interested in checking out TikTok terrariums further, I recommend starting with the following hashtags:

Although TikTok was a great introduction to self-sustaining ecosystems, providing a plethora of information, I am interested in checking out some other resources to gain a better understanding of the terms and processes being used. I feel this will aid me in my project as I work towards developing a more rounded understanding of the topic and it’s related components as a whole.

8 Replies to “TikTok Terrarium Teachings”

1. TikTok is a great resource! So many educational videos on various topics. My terrariums have never turned out so Im excited to keep reading about your Learning Project!
    Best of luck with terrarium making?

1. I totally agree – TikTok provides an individual with an opportunity to learn or consider so many diverse topics.

I have my fingers crossed that my terrariums will survive long-term. As the saying goes, “so far, so good.”

2. I am eager to watch your terrariums grow and flourish throughout the semester. I had a beauitfully terrarium gifted to me but it was over grown what appeared to be algae!

1. Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ll have to keep an eye out for algae in mine. This would be a good topic area for me to do some further research in. If I do, I will be sure to share my findings! ?

3. First of all, great name ? Second, this is the coolest idea! Tik Tok sometimes gets a bad rep but I personally, love it as a resource
    too. I’ve learned so many new things! I’m excited to follow along on your journey!

1. Thanks Kaelyn ? I believe it can be a ‘good’ source if it is used in a ‘good’ way, similar to our use of Twitter in class. I hope you enjoy the journey!

4. I am following along with your learning project this term. I have my graduation in botany and I used to think that I would be doing something like this someday but never got a chance, so it is a satisfying project to observe this growing self-sustaining ecosystem. Also, I am Curious about its Respiration process.

1. That’s so cool Sunaina! I’ve always been interested in botany but have never taken the time to further my academic understanding of it. I am also curious about the processes you mentioned. I think referring to some sources outside of TikTok will provide me a better understanding of how it works within a sealed system.