Learning Blog #6 – I stepped out: Week 5

Already, Into week 5. This week has been quick and hectic. Still, I managed to step out with the Camera I borrowed last week.

Over the last week, I was scrolling the web to learn how to use Nikon D5500. There are plenty of resources available. So much so that, I was unable to retain anything in mind. I made a plan that will learn as I practice. The plan is simple, there is an AUTO mode in the camera  (Obviously); I  will click the picture in auto mode and then try to recreate the same picture with full MANUAL mode. And If I feel stuck at any point; I will do a quick google search. As I practice and google stuff, I will also make quick notes on what resources I find useful to be added to this blog.

The first task for “Mini-Goal” is to find a good place.

My journey took me to this blog: “5 Saskatoon Sweet Spots for Photographers”. While this is a good list, I have another one to add to this list “Boffins Garden”

As I said, It’s been a hectic day and I was running too late on the day I was at this park. It bit dark; well good or bad, It made it even more difficult for me to try camera out.

As I was there and I already had a question for  Google “How to focus with Nikon D5500”.

Here is the answer from Nikon itself:

With that being out, I had already practiced how to change between camera mode, ISO, shutter speed, and Aperture.

Let me add a Youtube tutorial  which I found very useful again below:

Here are the results:

Side Note: On the right side of the picture, 2nd under the detail section, it shows the setting I use for that picture.  If you are interested in what tool it is, that’s “Google Photos”, read more about this on my blog here.

AUTO mode;

First Attempt: Manual Mode

2nd Attempt: Manual Mode

3rd Attempt: Manual Mode

4th Attempt: Manual Mode

Disclaimer: there were more than 4 attempts  ;). But by 4th picture, I was able to understand, “what is affecting what”. I think by 4th one I am quite comparable to the picture clicked in AUTO-mode.

And the best part is, the camera clicked (AUTO-mode), making it look way brighter than It was (around 6 of the evening). In 2nd  and 3rd picture, I was able to capture what I would see with my eyes.  This is exactly what I started by setting my goal; “Learn photography to level that;  I can capture with a camera what I see with my eyes.”

All good so far. Over the next week, I will repeat the same practice and will write another blog (kind of part 2  of this blog). Until then “Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family”

6 thoughts on “Learning Blog #6 – I stepped out: Week 5”

1. Hi Sunaina! It sounds like there is a lot to learn. I have always wanted to take up photography, but I just never have. Maybe you will be my inspiration.

Beautiful photos!

2. Hello Sunaina,
    I can see that you are enjoying your project taking pictures. I taught that taking picture is something easy, but I see that it requires lot of parameters to consider. Have fun!

1. Thanks Jean Paul, you are right I am enjoying this learning project as I am spending time outside and looking for things to capture. And sometimes it takes time to find correct location and angle but it’s something i am liking now:)

3. Hey Sunaina, this is really awesome. Photography seems like such a simple thing with all of us having access to our phones now, but clearly your pictures above show the intricacies of learning how to take great quality photos. I was impressed with your progression along the photos and it seems like you are doing a wonderful job so far, good luck and keep up the good work!

1. Thanks, Jordan! Even I used to think the same that we all have phones in our hands to click pictures but then I started comparing my photos with other photos uploaded on social sites and that made me realize that I should learn to capture photos like this. And here we are with this learning project.