Learning Blog #14- Digital Footprint

Today’s world is changing and getting more and more digitalized. So, all of us need to adapt according to the changing surrounding otherwise we will leave behind with limited access to knowledge and benefits. I am learning a lot about digital literacy in my EDTC300 course. Even last week we discussed trolling and the Media bias chart. Trolling is a mischievous activity that may or may not have the intent to cause distress but sometimes it Is used to defame someone or to destroy the reputation of some organization(Media manipulation and disinformation online).

Media Bias chart had an “inverted-U” shape as media sources with a neutral bias are generally reliable in their original fact reporting, while sources with an extreme bias on either side often contain factually inaccurate information.

It was crowded with real and not-so-real information. In this world full of real or fake information, all of us need to get digitally literate. Here are some new strategies and techniques to deal with fake news suggested in the article Developing critical literacies: What we need to know in a “fake news” world by Alec Couros and Katia Hildebrandt.

As my pre-internship is going on, my co-teacher and professors have continuously encouraged me to take risks and step out of my comfort zone. My major is Biology, and my minor is chemistry, so I don’t have options to add digital literacy to my subject area. Stepping out of my comfort zone, this coming week I have decided to teach my students about digital footprints. I chose an outcome from a grade 8 Career Education subject, and it fits into my lesson plan.  The digital footprint is all about the information uploaded by a person on social media intentionally or unintentionally. I would try to make them familiar with the pros and cons related to the digital world. As well as about the fake news world and How to choose your news.

Credit-http://mycentennial.sd43.bc.ca/lucasl2020/2021/05/28/my-digital-footprint/

4 thoughts on “Learning Blog #14- Digital Footprint”

1. Hi Sunaina,

I am glad to hear that you have major in Biology and minor in chemistry like me. As you said, we have no choice of considering digital literacy in our daily practice. I think that you should not be afraid on trying that with your grade 8 students. Maybe, you are going to also learn from them!. I hope you all the best in your class. Thank you for sharing.