ECS 203

The Problem of Common Sense

How does Kumashiro define ‘common sense’? Why is it so important to pay attention to the ‘common sense’? What common sense understandings of curriculum and pedagogy do you bring with you into this course?

Kumashiro defines ‘common sense’ in a variety of forms, initially he views ‘common sense’ as “something everyone should know” (XXIX) and later comes to the realization that “using our common sense is really insisting that we continue to privilege only certain perspectives, practices, values, and groups of people” (XXXVIV). Throughout the article, Kumashiro reveals that schooling differed significantly when comparing American and Nepal classroom approaches . He claims that the lecture-practice-exam approach is an “ingrained” practice that has become a part of ‘common sense’ for Nepalis (XXXI). For Americans, student learning is much more open by encouraging students to “participate actively in their learning” (XXX) in order to increase student engagement. Each type of schooling uses their own ‘common sense’ to determine what they believe is the correct and incorrect way to be successful in learning.

Paying attention to ‘common sense’ is necessary because the term itself reinforces oppression. By using our common sense as a lens in society is causing individuals to only have traditional views and opinions on schooling, it’s insisting that we continue to primarily privilege those of the social hierarchy. These views need to be “examined and challenged because ‘common sense’ should not shape educational reform or curriculum design” (XXXVII).

My own personal ‘common sense’ has changed over the years. In elementary school, I had a traditional view towards education, similar to the beliefs in Nepal, and as I got into middle years and high school I realized that an approach much more similar to the American approach best suited myself and my morals. I believe that by incorporating lessons revolving not only around the curriculum textbook but that it’s essential to increase open understandings and lessons to spark creativity and individuality. Enforcing further understandings of each students background and culture along with learning about oneself will increase opportunities for furthering ones mind about different culture backgrounds, as well as increase friendship, and enhance self-reflection. Students will benefit by this approach by learning perspectives outside of their own traditional or personal ideas of the world and society. After reading this article, I have realized that in order to move towards social justice; educators must unlearn, relearn, and challenge their own personal beliefs on curriculum and pedagogy to release any oppression that may exist within.

The problem of common sense (From Kumashiro. (2009). Against Common Sense: Teaching and Learning Toward Social Justice, pp. XXIX – XLI).